Cordless Chainsaw

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After my last chainsaw was stolen I've finally decided we need another one. Really considering a cordless. We don't cut firewood like a lot of folks do. We mainly need it for general cleanup around the house and thought a cordless might fit our needs. Anyone have experience with a cordless? Do they have enough power to do basic jobs? And how long does the charge last?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After my last chainsaw was stolen I've finally decided we need another one. Really considering a cordless. We don't cut firewood like a lot of folks do. We mainly need it for general cleanup around the house and thought a cordless might fit our needs. Anyone have experience with a cordless? Do they have enough power to do basic jobs? And how long does the charge last?
If you've had a gas powered chainsaw before an electric one is gonna be like using a plastic steak knife to try and cut through a overdone tough cut of meat. I have yet to use one that doesn't suck.

That ain't a chainsaw, this is a chainsaw.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well --- my daughter has one and it is GREAT!!

Not sure brand, can find out -- but....she heats with wood a lot and it cuts logs beautifully. She has 2 batteries so she doesn't get going and have to quit. But I was amazed at it's power. NOT as big...maybe 12" blade....and we've gone and taken a couple front loaders of wood out without any saw hesitation for cutting. She cut trees that I've pulled out.

For the type clean up I envision you need, it would be perfect. What I REALLY love --no rope to pull and hold saw at same time!!! pick up saw, push a button and power is there when you pull the trigger to cut.

I'm not into pulling ropes to start stuff....nope, electric starts on everything. Thought about buying one, then realized all I needed was to call her to help. LOL

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks ya'll.

@Mini Horses - I thought you had mentioned that your daughter had one and was hoping you'd chime in! I'm with ya on not pulling ropes and also not mixing gas and all that other stuff. So, DH was really gung ho last night and we have one on the way now.
It's a Makita....16 inch I think...(maybe 14) not sure. I'm excited and looking forward to it! Yippee!!

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Don't electric chainsaws come with a warning that due to the torque put out from them that your chaps might not be able to stop them? It's probably a little different by brand (motor) as well as corded vs cordless, but just a thought to do some research on.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Don't electric chainsaws come with a warning that due to the torque put out from them that your chaps might not be able to stop them?
That's a very good question - and I don't know the answer. Thanks for the heads-up though. It's something I will definitely research!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Chaps are full of fluffy material designed to plug up the chain and housing to stop the chain from spinning.
Don't electric chainsaws come with a warning that due to the torque put out from them that your chaps might not be able to stop them? It's probably a little different by brand (motor) as well as corded vs cordless, but just a thought to do some research on.

There are real chainsaw chaps and not so real chainsaw chaps. This video is an example of how real chaps work.