Cordless Chainsaw

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After my last chainsaw was stolen I've finally decided we need another one. Really considering a cordless. We don't cut firewood like a lot of folks do. We mainly need it for general cleanup around the house and thought a cordless might fit our needs. Anyone have experience with a cordless? Do they have enough power to do basic jobs? And how long does the charge last?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No plans to chop down any live trees! I had a tree that was struck by lightening several years ago and that winter we had a hard freeze...poor thing... it slowly died. We didn't chop it down. It was a tiny little eco-system and we left it alone. Unfortunately, the tiny little eco system bit the dust and fell a couple months ago. I could move it with the tractor - and probably eventually will - but it could stand to be pared down somewhat. Maybe I'll give Hugelkulture a shot with it.

The other reason is to remove some hedges that have taken over in front of my house and likely contributed to the termite problem... :( I hate it - but they've gotta go. They've been there a long time and the main trunk of each is thick and gnarly. We tried the hand loppers...we tried the Sawzall... it's just too much. I also have a dead queen palm that looks like a telephone pole in the back yard...it's gotta go too. So, no plans to become a logger - just basic clean up around the farm. :) And - we live in hurricane country on a long dead-end road. No way out if/when trees do fall across the road. Tractors and chain saws saved us after Hurricane Ike!

I do love my loppers though. I use them on a lot of things. In fact the loppers were the tool I was using when I got poison oak/ivy/sumac. Right now I'm afraid to touch 'em until I give 'em a really good cleaning!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We are the same - I hate losing the shrubs we're taking out - but we will definitely replace with something green and not quite so invasive. Years ago I worked with a person who would complain every time we drove by a cemetery. He would always say something like.... "look at all that wasted land that nobody will ever be able to do anything with." (such as build a shopping center on) My response was always - someday cemeteries may be the only green space left! We are a big proponent of trees around here...and I guarantee you if one comes down - it will be replaced. Speaking of that - I have two plum trees I need to get in the ground!

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We are the same - I hate losing the shrubs we're taking out - but we will definitely replace with something green and not quite so invasive. Years ago I worked with a person who would complain every time we drove by a cemetery. He would always say something like.... "look at all that wasted land that nobody will ever be able to do anything with." (such as build a shopping center on) My response was always - someday cemeteries may be the only green space left! We are a big proponent of trees around here...and I guarantee you if one comes down - it will be replaced. Speaking of that - I have two plum trees I need to get in the ground!
I have a TON of amur maple that somebody 20 years ago thought would be a great addition to the property. Well, they're not :(

Anyways, cutting hundreds of those down and replacing with lots of other stuff. That being said, while cutting some down last summer I discovered we had some plum trees that it was crowding out; so that was a nice surprise :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After my last chainsaw was stolen I've finally decided we need another one. Really considering a cordless. We don't cut firewood like a lot of folks do. We mainly need it for general cleanup around the house and thought a cordless might fit our needs. Anyone have experience with a cordless? Do they have enough power to do basic jobs? And how long does the charge last?
If you've had a gas powered chainsaw before an electric one is gonna be like using a plastic steak knife to try and cut through a overdone tough cut of meat. I have yet to use one that doesn't suck.

That ain't a chainsaw, this is a chainsaw.

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks ya'll.

@Mini Horses - I thought you had mentioned that your daughter had one and was hoping you'd chime in! I'm with ya on not pulling ropes and also not mixing gas and all that other stuff. So, DH was really gung ho last night and we have one on the way now.
It's a Makita....16 inch I think...(maybe 14) not sure. I'm excited and looking forward to it! Yippee!!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Chaps are full of fluffy material designed to plug up the chain and housing to stop the chain from spinning.
Don't electric chainsaws come with a warning that due to the torque put out from them that your chaps might not be able to stop them? It's probably a little different by brand (motor) as well as corded vs cordless, but just a thought to do some research on.

There are real chainsaw chaps and not so real chainsaw chaps. This video is an example of how real chaps work.