Corn + Ammonia Nitrate = Shazam wizbang bang boom!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I read that if your okra does not produce, whip it with a limber switch. Or just pull off the lower leaves, leaving those at the crown. I employed the latter and stripped leaves off. The okra got busy and started producing.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hah - must be why mine got into overdrive. I let the goats in the garden - what's the only thing they really devoured - okra leaves! Works! But, hmmm...might try whipping it if I ever don't have goats to eat the leaves, lol!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Silly bunny!

Silly bunny was a sly bunny. The little machine eat a whole row of green beans. It took a good week of going out in the early evening with my shot gun before he made an fatal error. He would see me and take off, evening after evening we played this game. I changed the game and came in from a different place. He didn't see me, eventhough I was a good 50 yards away I aimed anyways, pulled the trigger and bunny fell over. I checked him for worms by running my hand up his back to feel for bumps. He didn't have any, so I skinned and gutted bunny he looked clean on the inside, now he's chilling out in the deep freezer. Waste not want not I guess. I would have preferred not to have to shoot him but I couldn't just left him eat all my green beans either.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I read that if your okra does not produce, whip it with a limber switch. Or just pull off the lower leaves, leaving those at the crown. I employed the latter and stripped leaves off. The okra got busy and started producing.

I did not know that - thanks! Whip it, whip it good :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Dang - what are you some kind of garden scientist experimentalist seed producer? I LOVE it! Those peppers are awesome - and "legs" are cool and kinda creepy at the same time! :lol:

I like crossing heirlooms, it's kind of fun to see what happens when you plant the seeds the next year. Sometime it's a bomb, sometimes it's good.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wanna sell some seeds?

Yep corn smut. Burn it and the plants. Burn anything that came into contact with it. That stuff is the plague. I aint eating it either

My okra aint making much either. The story is all too familiar this year. Dont know why, but crops aint producing.

No sir, I won't sell you any seeds but I will send you some. Send me your address via a conversation, so it private and I'll get you some in the mail.

I have to caution you though, the red ones grow to a height more than 6' tall, the green ones a little more than 5' tall. Both will spread a good 3' and will need support like a tall tomato cage or in-between some tall fencing. The reason being is the branches can not support the weight of the peppers and will break off at the main stem.

Also these are crossed peppers so they will have stripes on either lighter green and dark green for the green bells and green and red for the red ones if picked early. They love heat and sun but don't like much water, too much water and their growth will be stunned.

Here's a picture of what I mean by stripes.
IMG_20181007_125230894.jpg