Corn + Ammonia Nitrate = Shazam wizbang bang boom!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I waded through the okra. It's a good 5', approaching 6' tall and seen 1 flower total in both rows. Ain't never seen anything like it, the plants should be covered up with okra ready to pic daily.

I'm blaming Al Gore for this global warming he brought on.
IMG_20180813_175004028.jpg

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Welcome to the jungle? Wow.. I think when those start bearing fruit you are going to have your hands full!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
In 2013 I crossed two pepper plants. In 2014 I grew 1 plant from that cross. The results were crazy stupid... I wound up with 1 pepper plant 6 foot tall and spread out a good 4 foot diameter. The peppers grew upside down and were so numerous it was stupid crazy. That year I kept track and I picked 14 gallon of peppers off that one plant. We picked and picked and picked that plant but we found out the more you picked it the more it produced. My wife put up 26 quarts, I dehydrated a bunch and I gaveway I have no idea how many more.

They wood stake in the front is 3 foot tall for reference
View attachment 8061

This is some of what I picked off this one plant. Yes that a 5 gallon bucket full and a quart canning jar box.
View attachment 8062

View attachment 8063

They are HOT little buggers but are great to soak in some vinegar for spicing up ham beans, collards, mustard, spinach.
View attachment 8064

View attachment 8066

They remained firm during canning also but lost their bright color.
View attachment 8065

I have no idea what to call this pepper other than Explosion because of the heat of the peppers and it's crazy proflific growth. The red ones are like 2 times hotter than the green ones and retained their color after canning.

Wanna sell some seeds?

Corn smut? IDK, but the chickens sure do like it.

View attachment 8098

Yep corn smut. Burn it and the plants. Burn anything that came into contact with it. That stuff is the plague. I aint eating it either

I waded through the okra. It's a good 5', approaching 6' tall and seen 1 flower total in both rows. Ain't never seen anything like it, the plants should be covered up with okra ready to pic daily.

I'm blaming Al Gore for this global warming he brought on.
View attachment 8156

My okra aint making much either. The story is all too familiar this year. Dont know why, but crops aint producing.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep corn smut. Burn it and the plants. Burn anything that came into contact with it. That stuff is the plague. I aint eating it either

Chicken, lol! :hide

I did the same thing the first year I had it tried to eradicate it and literally laid hay on the ground and burned a whole big area - but it still came back the next year....so I ate it! It took moving my corn patch to a totally different area to get away from it. I don't know what would happen if I planted corn in that same spot again - it's been over 10 years since I grew corn there...

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Chicken, lol! :hide

I did the same thing the first year I had it tried to eradicate it and literally laid hay on the ground and burned a whole big area - but it still came back the next year....so I ate it! It took moving my corn patch to a totally different area to get away from it. I don't know what would happen if I planted corn in that same spot again - it's been over 10 years since I grew corn there...

I just dont plant corn anymore

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After eating a bunch and giving a bunch away, here's our take for canning.

I'm shooting for 20 pints to pressure can
IMG_20180819_182444717.jpg

Probably tomorrow I'll go through and pull the rest of the ears for the chickens and turkeys to eat.

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That corn sure is pretty! Your whole garden is gorgeous! By comparison, I have some bodacious weeds!