Corn + Ammonia Nitrate = Shazam wizbang bang boom!

GettysburgGarden

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We're getting in a second round of
20180820_120751_resized.jpg
beans, peas, and beets. We live on a mountain less than 4 miles from a ski resort with lift, etc.. near Gettysburg, PA. We do a terrace garden and as you can see the soil is red allot of clay, but after many years now become much more organic. We maintain fencing to keep deer, bear, ground hogs, and rabbits out. I wish I had an Amish neighbor who cooked bread. Think Appalachian farming, we are less than 5 miles from the trail.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hah - must be why mine got into overdrive. I let the goats in the garden - what's the only thing they really devoured - okra leaves! Works! But, hmmm...might try whipping it if I ever don't have goats to eat the leaves, lol!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wanna sell some seeds?

Yep corn smut. Burn it and the plants. Burn anything that came into contact with it. That stuff is the plague. I aint eating it either

My okra aint making much either. The story is all too familiar this year. Dont know why, but crops aint producing.

No sir, I won't sell you any seeds but I will send you some. Send me your address via a conversation, so it private and I'll get you some in the mail.

I have to caution you though, the red ones grow to a height more than 6' tall, the green ones a little more than 5' tall. Both will spread a good 3' and will need support like a tall tomato cage or in-between some tall fencing. The reason being is the branches can not support the weight of the peppers and will break off at the main stem.

Also these are crossed peppers so they will have stripes on either lighter green and dark green for the green bells and green and red for the red ones if picked early. They love heat and sun but don't like much water, too much water and their growth will be stunned.

Here's a picture of what I mean by stripes.
IMG_20181007_125230894.jpg