Corn + Ammonia Nitrate = Shazam wizbang bang boom!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nothing I know of says: "hello - wake up and grow" to a patch of sweet corn more than ammonia nitrate does.

It's nice now too - I bought a 50 lb bag and I didn't have to supply my personal identifable information (driver's license) for the gov to track. The feed mill where I bought said that regulation went away with the new administration :)
IMG_20180708_172616674_HDR.jpg

Before - Notice the color of green the leaves are (pale).
IMG_20180708_170057971.jpg

After side dressing at a rate of 3lbs coffee can full per 30' row. Now all we need is a good soaking rain - which is forcast later this evening (maybe).
IMG_20180708_174616723.jpg

I'll post another picture about a week after the first good rain. So you can see what ammonia nitrate does.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Chicken manure. :lol: Grows anything....or kills it if too much. My coop provides it as a free sideline. Heck, I can hardly mow thru some grass areas where the chickens like to roam. My friend, who is the recipient of about 100# a year, says her garden has never done as well as with this. Of course, we don't do the monster sized garden that you do.

They didn't ask for an ID either :D Guess we are both lucky.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Chicken manure. :lol: Grows anything....or kills it if too much. My coop provides it as a free sideline. Heck, I can hardly mow thru some grass areas where the chickens like to roam. My friend, who is the recipient of about 100# a year, says her garden has never done as well as with this. Of course, we don't do the monster sized garden that you do.

They didn't ask for an ID either :D Guess we are both lucky.

+1 for chicken manure. I just wish I had a lot more of it than I have now.

When it comes to gardening. My rule of thumb is go big or go home :) I've always wanted a 100' x 150' that's a little less than three times the size of my 60 x 100 summer garden is now. If I had three times the garden space say a 100' x 150' - I would definitely go with wide rows instead of narrow rows and plants lined up in a nice straight line like the are now. Although I think I'm going to expand it to 125' by 60' next year. I never seem to have enough room to plant everything I want to plant.

Roma's are just starting to ripen these are my third generation for san marzano vine and amish paste vine crosses. They are large meaty, pretty dry, have very few seeds, low acid and are tasty for a Roma tomatoes - I'm verry happy with them, so am calling this roma line done. So I won't be doing any more crossing and keep on seed saving and planting them every year from now on.
IMG_20180723_243513773.jpg

These are my 2nd generation green peppers, Ivory & California wonder cross. I wanted to see how big they would have gotten but the stem busted off during a storm so I'll have to wait on the rest of the plant to see. But they look nice and taste good. I'm trying to develop big ones that will stand up for stuffing and not get mushy when baked. Ivory bell peppers are white and huge but I wanted to try and make a green ivory bell that produces green color instead of white but is still large. IDK this is my first attempt at pepper crossing... It's all guess work at this point. I still can see a bit of vertical ivory stripe in these - so I suspect a few more generations of crossing may be needed.
IMG_20180723_243557245.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's pretty awesome - Explosion for sure!

I need to get you all some seeds of my evil pepper crosses next year to try and grow.

This is just some of what I grew from crosses in 2014. I stopped crossing peppers to focus on tomatoes. But I'm happy with my tomatoe crosses for now so I'm going to pick up pepper crossing again starting next year.

uploadfromtaptalk1411771869428.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1409593334163.jpg

I think this red cheyenne cross got a little confused. Maybe a good name for it is Legs?
uploadfromtaptalk1410308653289 (1).jpg

And have you ever seen yellow cheyenne before? Result of a pepper cross gone right.
uploadfromtaptalk1409109074306.jpg

I suppose next year I might as well put a bunch of these signs up around the pepper patch. :Lol
uploadfromtaptalk1408938537594.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Your garden is really NICE!! Corn is looking great. For saving seed for the Indian corn, be careful that it doesn't cross pollinate.

Thanks Bay - it's was quite a bit of work to recover from all the rain and strong storms we had in May, June and beginning of July. I had to stand sweet corn up 3 separate times and the weeds are horrible... I'm on my second planting of green beans already. I refused to give up... I'm a stubborn bastard!

But here is a whole row of pretty flowers. My daughter came over yesterday and seen the row of flowers and asked me if I was ok? Why yes, I'm ok... Flowers dad? really? I haven't seen you plant flowers for a long time. I think she was thinking I might be getting limp wristed or something :lol:

IMG_20180723_201556036.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DGD is lovely! She likes the flowers...:love

So, what's wrong with a few stripes in the peppers? If the taste good & do what you want, color isn't important.

You know, I've had people buy mini horses from me BECAUSE of the color, alone. Another with better conformation was passed because of color. $$in my pocket but, their loss. :D So consider if all else with those peppers is "ok".

What's wrong with them? Nothing really just look a little off I reckon. I mean who would want to eat a stripped pepper? Maybe lots of people?

You just gave me an idea. What if I could pull off crossing a red bell and Ivory bell and call it candy striper?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Peppers, a few of them are for my evil crossing experiments. But most of them are for eating.
IMG_20180725_154629285.jpg

More peppers and tomatoes. I'm pretty much done with tomato crossing. I'm happy with them for now. I only put in 6 - 1/2 rows od tomatoes this year since last year we were over run with tomatoes but I doubled down on the peppers.
IMG_20180725_154649259.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In 2013 I crossed two pepper plants. In 2014 I grew 1 plant from that cross. The results were crazy stupid... I wound up with 1 pepper plant 6 foot tall and spread out a good 4 foot diameter. The peppers grew upside down and were so numerous it was stupid crazy. That year I kept track and I picked 14 gallon of peppers off that one plant. We picked and picked and picked that plant but we found out the more you picked it the more it produced. My wife put up 26 quarts, I dehydrated a bunch and I gaveway I have no idea how many more.

They wood stake in the front is 3 foot tall for reference
uploadfromtaptalk1410296392447.jpg

This is some of what I picked off this one plant. Yes that a 5 gallon bucket full and a quart canning jar box.
uploadfromtaptalk1408407167681.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1411775420177.jpg

They are HOT little buggers but are great to soak in some vinegar for spicing up ham beans, collards, mustard, spinach.
uploadfromtaptalk1407896411365.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1407896206365.jpg

They remained firm during canning also but lost their bright color.
uploadfromtaptalk1408903197550.jpg

I have no idea what to call this pepper other than Explosion because of the heat of the peppers and it's crazy proflific growth. The red ones are like 2 times hotter than the green ones and retained their color after canning.

Last edited: