Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I make what I call Cornbread Supper

Brown a pound of sausage
Chop 1 onion
Grate half a pound of cheese (or more)
Jalapenos to taste, or none

Make batch and a half of cornbread batter

DEEP skillet, heated with oil in bottom. Pour in just enough batter to cover the bottom. Add sausage, onion, jalapenos, cheese, top with remaining batter.

Bake at 350 for one hour, up to an hour and a half.
Cut in wedges and supper is ready.

You can put anything you want to in it, sometimes I add cream corn to the batter.
Baymule, I made this for dinner tonight! (Although I must have written it down from somewhere else that you posted it, because you used the words “smokin’ hot” for heating the oil.🤣)

Since you said to put anything you want in it, I used:

Cut up spiral sliced ham I had in the freezer
Onions (frozen chopped)
1 head of fresh broccoli
Frozen shredded hash browns
Frozen corn
Frozen mushrooms thawed and sliced
Mozzarella cheese
Three-cheddar shredded cheese
Cornbread recipe from the back of Indian Head Corn Meal (except I used Bob’s Red Mill corn flour)
And I used smokin hot bacon grease in the bottom of the pan.

It is SO good!! I think I just found my new favorite way to use up leftover odds and ends. Or if I don’t know what I want to make, just take whatever I’ve got and put it in this. Yummy!! 😋

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I make what I call Cornbread Supper

Brown a pound of sausage
Chop 1 onion
Grate half a pound of cheese (or more)
Jalapenos to taste, or none

Make batch and a half of cornbread batter

DEEP skillet, heated with oil in bottom. Pour in just enough batter to cover the bottom. Add sausage, onion, jalapenos, cheese, top with remaining batter.

Bake at 350 for one hour, up to an hour and a half.
Cut in wedges and supper is ready.

You can put anything you want to in it, sometimes I add cream corn to the batter.
Sounds amazing! Thank you for sharing!!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I did once and it didn't turn out, not ground fine enough although it does make some good grits 😁 Nothing wrong with lard. We use it instead of shortening, have been for several years now. Just had some onion rings fried in lard 😋

I think I remember @baymule makes her own cornbread with corn she grows and grinds.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok so who out there grinds there own corn either sweet or feed (dent ) corn to make skillet cornbread ?
Also what is your secret to cooking some cornbread from pure scratch ( No Box or Bag )

don't grind my own corn meal nor do i often make corn bread. in the past i used to regularly make large flap jacks with most of the ingredients being corn meal and then i would add other flours to change the flavor around. i had a perfect sized non-stick pan that i didn't use much oil at all - just wipe it with a bit of butter and then when done i'd wipe it clean with a bit of TP.