CORN BREAD

Okiepan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ok so who out there grinds there own corn either sweet or feed (dent ) corn to make skillet cornbread ?
Also what is your secret to cooking some cornbread from pure scratch ( No Box or Bag )

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I did once and it didn't turn out, not ground fine enough although it does make some good grits 😁 Nothing wrong with lard. We use it instead of shortening, have been for several years now. Just had some onion rings fried in lard 😋

I think I remember @baymule makes her own cornbread with corn she grows and grinds.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just not store bought lard with the preservatives added. I cannot stand that flavor.

I asked hubby for his recipe. It's the one his grandmother taught him. His family is from West Virginia. This is not a sweet cornbread. Self rising cornmeal doesn't exist in stores on this coast.

2 cups self rising cornmeal ( +4 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt if not self rising)
1 egg
Enough buttermilk to get a smooth batter

Melt a bit of bacon grease in a cast iron skillet. Toss a little cornmeal in the bottom and let it toast a moment. Pour in batter and bake at 350° until done. (Check around 30 minutes but I think it took awhile longer)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok so who out there grinds there own corn either sweet or feed (dent ) corn to make skillet cornbread ?
Also what is your secret to cooking some cornbread from pure scratch ( No Box or Bag )

don't grind my own corn meal nor do i often make corn bread. in the past i used to regularly make large flap jacks with most of the ingredients being corn meal and then i would add other flours to change the flavor around. i had a perfect sized non-stick pan that i didn't use much oil at all - just wipe it with a bit of butter and then when done i'd wipe it clean with a bit of TP.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Mmmm, y'all are making me hungry!

I made a dry mix for corn bread, but forgot to write how much mix to use with the other ingredients. Maybe today is the day to figure that out? :gig

Home-rendered lard is good! I bought leaf fat last year to make a batch. It was expensive so I have been stingy with it!

Okiepan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So today's venture, Fresh milled wheat ( flour) fresh milled dent ( field corn ) topped with butter and syrip mighty fine eating.
In a 10" cast iron skillet

Attachments

• EA0D326E-37A1-47AD-9B9C-64F818FF728A.jpeg
    EA0D326E-37A1-47AD-9B9C-64F818FF728A.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 105