Corn Fodder!??

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I threw some stalks to the sheep.....they loved it. The corn I plucked off, and fed some to the hogs, and some to the chickens. Now, if the sheep eat it....is there a chance they will "founder"? Do sheep founder!?? :idunno They sure do like it.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
justusnak said:
Now, if the sheep eat it....is there a chance they will "founder"? Do sheep founder!?? :idunno They sure do like it.
Goats can founder, I know, so I would imagine sheep too, probably?

As with anything, it's best not to make radical sudden changes to feed, or to give them a very large amount of something new.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks Pat....I only threw them a few....they devoured them right up! I was afraid if I gave them too much, it would upset thier tummy.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Mooning! ? Now I have heard everything!! :lol:

Yes I hear of a lot of folks that allow it to dry in the field and then either cut it to feed or portion control feed it my moving an electric fence through the field.

I understood that justusnack had to remove the corn while the stalks are still green however. I think the hanging upside down idea or the spreading on wire over rafters to make a drying rack idea might work well. If the weather would cooperate she could spread it out in the sun and turn it a couple of times - like making hay - until it was dry.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The stalks I gathered in bunches...like for decorations...and sat in an area that gets lots of sunshine and wind....the corn, I removed, and layed on some stretched chicken wire....also, great air movement/sun. This of course will be just for helping make the hay last a little longer this winter. I am going tomorrow and cutting another truck load...at least the pigs will love all the corn, and if nothing else, I can use the stalks in the chicken coop...after I chop them. Hey, free is free! ;)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Bee, what method do you use to shock your corn? Bad language? Dirty jokes? Mooning?

:gig
Nope! Told the whole dang corn lot that I was getting goats...... :D :lol:
It was sufficiently shocked! :lol:

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

... by the way Bee, I would love to join your group. Do you accept sneezers too or only laughers?