Cornish Cross Spring 2018 Cost/Profit/Loss or Freezer Meat

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our customer that bought 10 chickens from us asked for more chicken. She wanted 2 packages of breast, 2 thighs and 2 drumsticks. I packaged the breast 3 pieces, thighs and drumsticks were not cut apart and packaged 4 to a package. It came to 14 pounds, cost $78.

So scrolling up to drag down some numbers...….

Total cost was $358.40

Sales $198.72
New sales $78

Brings our cost down to $81.68

We kept for ourselves 175.7 pounds of chicken, minus the 14 pounds we just sold, brings it down to 161.7 pounds for ourselves. This reduces our cost for the chicken we kept for ourselves to fifty cents a pound!

Not too shabby. We had chicken wings tonight. Delicious!

Wow .50 a lb is great! I was nowhere near that, but I gave some away also. I don't charge friends old fashioned I guess. I would be a crappy business owner.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's a lot of work!!! (the butchering part)

Bay, you did good on this group. The taste is just so much better than store bought, plus the benefits of grass, no chems, etc. If you had a real good set up, customer base, it could be a way to get your own at good price. You didn't even figure the buy cost of the dog food & broth. That's a couple $$ a quart!

With the lower feed costs, you would be in pretty good shape next time. 770# = 16 bags, $5 less = $80. = free birds for you.

For just you & fam, it's still a way to raise clean meat for a decent price. Especially if you have some "free feed" to add in. I have a farmer who will sell me good feed in 55 Gal barrels, approx. 400-425#, $75. He raises. This is why most used a dual bird, back in the day....free range, eggs, a little meat somewhere along the line....no need to keep penned, etc.

For me, here alone, I would consider maybe a dozen meat only. Suffer the care for 2 months & process day :D

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Honestly, I would rather eat an old layer or a young cockerel, just not much meat on them compared to the CCX. The breast meat, while huge, just had a bland taste to it. The thighs, legs and wings are good, but an older chicken just has more taste. I haven't eaten store bought chicken in I don't know how long. Even though I raised them, they still didn't have a lot of taste. But on a good note, that's a lot of meat at a VERY low price, it didn't take long to raise them and they have fed 3 families.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep, older dual purpose are tasty!! :drool

That's a good use for cockerels...esp mean ones!!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I prefer the CX. The texture of dual purpose birds bothers me. DH hates raising them though so I'll deal! Lol

Latest posts