Cornish Cross Spring 2018 Cost/Profit/Loss or Freezer Meat

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Part of the routine. One batch, I had a roo's leg snap (like broken), three days before the planned trip to freezer camp. We made him (Vern we named him) a little cardboard box bed, kept him comfortable, fed, and warm. He made the ride to the butcher just fine. My son hooted when we finally used him from the freezer (the busted leg was obvious).

Roo's always had issues. The last two batches, I went with all females, with zero losses/injuries.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good, feeding twice a day makes for (usually) healthier birds! I've had some weird strains too, one was like the carnivorous attack chicken strain and I battled them assassinating and eating each other. It's what made us not want to raise them anymore! Although we still might because I'm a spoiled breast meat eater... Lol

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We moved the coop up again today. Solid poop. DH washed it in, all this poop oughta make the grass grow!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Does anyone know what live weight is needed to wind up with a 4-5 pound butchered bird? I don't have a scale to weigh a live chicken on, maybe I could get one of those DE-Liars......a fish scale to hang fish on. They are called DE-Liars because once weighed, you can't lie about how big was the fish you caught. LOL LOL

I have some that seem to be getting pretty big, might have to start slaughtering next week. I will post pictures.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Chickens are all on lockdown. A family of hawks are nesting right on the fence line, about 100 yards from there. I hear them calling all the time. Maybe after the chicks grow up and fly away, they won't be such a problem. The hawks have landed on fence posts near the coops, studying the occupants. :\

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
TSC batch we got March 20 and they were a week old. Batch #2 we got March 23 and they were 3 days old.

TSC batch will be 8 weeks old May 8, Batch #2 will be 7 weeks old May 11 (counting from 3-23)

I added up all my feed costs today and the total is $253.24 I still have 3 unopened bags.