Cornish Cross Spring 2019

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My dealings with USPS employees have always been positive. I have no complaints. If it wasn't for the USPS and the great people who work there, none of us would ever get boxes of fluffy peeps. I feel I got a box of sickly chicks, dead and stinking ones in the box. For them to already be stinking, they had to die pretty quick after shipping. Just a bad experience.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My dealings with USPS employees have always been positive. I have no complaints. If it wasn't for the USPS and the great people who work there, none of us would ever get boxes of fluffy peeps. I feel I got a box of sickly chicks, dead and stinking ones in the box. For them to already be stinking, they had to die pretty quick after shipping. Just a bad experience.

Yeah that's a bummer - sorry to hear this :(

I don't know if with TS you can have then sent to the store for pick up or not. But if so it might be a good option for you next go around. At least then TS has some skin in the game.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No, they mail them directly. I will never order chicks through TSC again. Even the employees at the store I talked to said they never order chicks from TSC. The chicks I bought at the TSC store are healthy and happy.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My bare dirt contrasts sharply with @Beekissed's lush green grass. Sigh..... we recently chopped, dragged and burned green briar thickets in this spot. Then cut down 30-ish small trees, leaving the big ones. The chicken pooped hay will be spread to assist the soil. I'll be planting giant Bermuda here.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The tractor has worked about a thousand times better than what I built last year. It is heavy, but I move it by picking up one end. I do a slow sweep motion to move the chickens over, then go back a little to set it down, so I don't squish any. I do both ends several times, then bed with fresh hay. I don't have pictures, my phone is full and I need to download to the computer. We've been looking at the calendar to see what days we don't have appointments or other obligations, so we can get started on putting them in the freezer.

It pains me, but I will not be making broth from them. We'll be slaughtering old layers this fall and they make a rich deep yellow broth. The CCX make a grayish broth. It's good, but nothing like old layers broth. LOL Besides, I still have CCX broth from last year.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I agree about CX broth...not nearly as rich as an older bird's broth.

I'm glad it worked so well for you....now you have it and can use it again and again. Will you get more CX in the fall?