Cornish Cross Spring 2019

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Do you then sterilize your hose end? Personally, I think that if an oops were to occur, there would be less likelihood of meat contamination with dry poop than with wet poop. Also, I wonder if the high water pressure may make the bowel more likely to perforate.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Do you ever scald and pluck?

Back in the day we used to and with my first group of meaties I did, but then I found I use chicken more often when it's either canned or parted out and frozen, so no need for the skin at all.

We have an old copper kettle that was my grandma's that we use for scalding chickens when we do scald but nowadays I can up all my chicken.

Like LG, I can deal with oops poops better when they are dry, as they are easily rinsed from the work surface in that way without much splatter onto other things. I use the shower setting on the nozzle and gently rinse any oops from the area and then flush the surface with bleach....that's what's in the little ketchup bottle on the back of the sink. Then another gentle rinse with water and I'm ready to go again.

The meaties are the only ones with wetter poops but mostly I'm dealing with old hens, with regular chicken poops.