Cornish Cross Spring 2020

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have ten more to go. Just woke up, LOL. Guess I’ll process these tomorrow. At this point, I hate chickens. Never want to see another chicken, much less eat one! Stupid dirty birdies! LOL LOL Really shouldn’t have gone berry picking, tired!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Slow down! But, I'm jealous of dewberry picking. I don't dare... I refuse to ever wander in the brush again because of the "poisons." But, I have mulberries. YUM!

Last edited:

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The only thing is that since you raise them like you do @baymule , the white meat really isn't "all the mush",,,, sure it isn't as good as the dark meat or as juicy, but it isn't as tasteless as the store bought kind.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Boom! Done! I have a LOT of canning to do, broth to make and can, back pieces, necks and such to can for the dogs.

I still have to do my cost analysis to do. I feel like a dog chasing her tail, I just can’t catch up. LOL

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don’t feel so energetic right now. Today I canned 9 quarts of chicken dog food. I simmered breast bones for broth and got 1 quart and 4 pints of white meat from them canned. I have broth in the canner now, 4 quarts and 5 pints. Add that to what I’ve already canned and I have 23 quarts of dog food, 11 quarts of broth, 5 pints of broth, 1 quart and 4 pints of meat for us. Plus a pot full of chicken skin cooked up for the dogs, mixed with their kibble, that will last them 3 days. I also have 3 quarts of dog broth in the refrigerator. I still got more to go. It’s all packed up in the freezer.

Like I said... High Energy

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have some clabbered kiefer in the refrigerator in the refrigerator that I've been saving for fermenting the feed with. I'll be mixing up some fermented feed tomorrow. How long do I let it set before feeding it? It will be in a building that gets rather hot, how will that affect it?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bay, how many bags did you buy? My count right now: 9 bags layer, 1 bag starter, 3 bags grow and show. I've never had this much feed on hand, and it flies completely in the face of my "Never have more feed on hand than you will use in 6 weeks. However, at this time, i think I'd rather have stale feed available than NO feed!
I'm trying to count up in my head. We got 9 bags of hog feed, have 6 bags whole corn, 20 bags 14% all purpose pellet-the sheep, horses and chickens all eat it, and 10 bags of game gird crumble for the meat chicks.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
This morning I’ll move the tractor over, move the 5 gallon water container over, fill up the pan and watch the piranhas dig in. I have 2 buckets going, I feed one in the morning, one in the evening. @Beekissed do you think that is enough time to ferment or do I need to let it set longer?

If you backslop and if temps are hot, it could be enough time. They usually say 12-18 hrs for a good fermentation to be throughout the mix, but if you are keeping it 70* or above where you are storing your feed, that process is likely sped up a bit.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I back slop but it’s in the 40’s to the 60’s. It will warm up soon though.