Cornish Cross Spring 2020

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I figure to use the poop to my advantage. Chicken poop ought to make the grass grow. LOL

Sassafras II

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We plan to get around 50 meat chickens this spring.. any suggestions on what breed is best?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Lovely looking carcass. Mechanical plucker? Please, if you have the details, share the stats: Feed conversion rate, average dressed carcass wt. Age at processing. Love those details!
No, hand plucked. I don't have any of those details yet, but I can after I weigh them tomorrow.

I read last night something I did not know. After you cut their throats, take your knife and destroy the brain through the mouth. It supposedly will help release the feathers during plucking.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My dad used that method to kill chickens. When he did it, the process was quick, and no more messy than slitting the carotids. He said it was the "kosher" method. Supposed to make plucking easier, and give a better bleed out.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Last time I processed, I used a heavy plastic bag to make a killing cone (wood pellet bag). I stapled it into the correct size/shape, then hung it on the wall over my laundry sink. I found the tap water was hot enough for the scald b/c it was real close to my hot water tank. BB, did you put some dish soap in your scald water? That helps b/c the soap cuts the oil in the feathers.
No, we just rotated stock pots of water off of the canning stove out in the yard for plucking.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That is a nice looking carcass BB, I know you are happy to have that done!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
That's great BB, thanks for posting your CCX journey. On the feeder, I use a rubber tub. Yeah, they sit and sh!t in it, but they poop in the water tray too. They are poop machines. I feed mine out on a 28% game bird crumble. You had 4 people working on the processing! That is awesome! We make a cone out of cardboard and duct tape. My redneck processing LOL.

We are back on track today and will slaughter more dirty birdies. I have 19 left to do. Dunno how many, BJ is rather tired from our travels over the weekend and going to pick up a puppy yesterday. I'm about to go get chores done, then we'll get started. He suggested doing 6 today. I'm for whatever he wants to do, but I was secretly hoping for 10. LOL
I used to feed 24% protein feed, but I lost some. Did you lose any with that high protein feed?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I lose a couple, but I don’t care what you do, you can’t stop kamikaze chickens.

FEM you need to get your order in. With all the Covid-Farmers out there, chicks of all kinds are in short supply.