Cornish Cross Spring 2020

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We bought these from a place that raises pastured chicken. And they slaughter poultry for other people. I have no need for that service, but will be glad to pass the info on. They hatch every week. You can pick chicks up at the farm for $1.00 each. They also ship. It’s a little more if they ship.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The little stinkers are on the porch in tubs. One more week and they can go outside, maybe. For the first time ever, I am prepared. I do have to move a batch of pullets out of the meat chickens tractor, but I HAVE IT BUILT!! They got pretty big last year before I got it built and could put them in it. LOL I will need to play chicken moving day, but I have the space to move them around. Phenomenal. Is this really me? The queen of "I got 'em, now where do I put them?" is actually READY! Wow...….am I growing up or something? Perish the thought! We even sucked it up and bought two 5 gallon waterers for them. Last year I only had 1 gallon watering containers and we filled up 3 of them, 3 times a day. That. Got. Old.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I moved them out yesterday. I had already played chickens moving to a new home, moving layers around. So the tractor was empty, moved to fresh ground and ready to go. The tubs are still on the porch, we’ll be gone today, so I’ll drag them out and clean them up this evening. I lost more than I wanted, the heat lamp was too hot. I couldn’t find old fashioned incandescent 100 watt light bulbs. Finally found some and chicks stopped dying. I moved 44 Chicks yesterday, now I just gotta keep them alive until slaughter.

71809078-4064-448C-9B4F-E18797ED0801.jpeg

Naked little things sure are ugly. LOL

BIG water container! I got a feeling I’m gonna love using these.

A06EAD8F-ADEC-461B-8B44-E347A7B2356C.jpeg

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We stocked up on Feed, just in case. If nothing else it will keep us from mingling with others who might be sick.
Bay, how many bags did you buy? My count right now: 9 bags layer, 1 bag starter, 3 bags grow and show. I've never had this much feed on hand, and it flies completely in the face of my "Never have more feed on hand than you will use in 6 weeks. However, at this time, i think I'd rather have stale feed available than NO feed!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Bay if you want to stretch that feed a bit you could ferment it. If not wanting to fuss with that, now that you are working, you could just wet it down before feeding it so they don't scratch it out of the pan as much.

Love the looks of all that green grass!

Latest posts