Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Tl;dr: its not about whether or not it works. Its about the ethics of distributing limited supply equitably to the people whose lives are most at risk.

Before HCQ, 50% of people with Lupus died within 5 years. Without treatment 20% of those who get malaria will die in weeks.

COVID death rate is much lower. Depending where you are in the world, its 0.3% to <4% with the exceptions of Mexico and Iran which are higher.

So what I heard when I read the comments above was "my white privileged self expects that I should get something I dont need even when a colored disadvanaged person will certainly die because of my action."

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Remember when we were told masks weren't necessary? That wasnt based on science. It was based on limited supply. They didnt want the general public trying to get PPE when there wasnt enough supply for medical systems to function. When the mask shortage was less bad we were told to wear non-medical masks. And now the mask production is holding up and masks are required.

When HCQ was first used, it created a run on the drug. This is a drug that the people who take it depend on it to stay alive. Using it on COVID patients was creating life-or-death drug shortages for others. It created a global shortage. HCQ is proven for the other conditions, but unproven for COVID. That doesnt mean it doesnt work, it means the evidence is inconclusive or insufficient. The adverse effects of HCQ in COVID were a concern compared to other treatments and to the risk of COVID complications [as the death rate from COVID fell]. Not using HCQ for COVID protected people who will die or suffer permanent organ damage without it. But now, the dispensing trends of HCQ have stabilized, the supply is better, and doctors have other options. So now, if there is a COVID patient who isnt responding to other treatnents or their individual risk warrants the use of HCQ, their use of it is not directing harming another person who is not able to get their prescribed drug. Now HCQ use is back to individual choice.

The data is not compiled and analyzed yet, but its believed that the global excess deaths (deaths beyond the usual death rate) from malaria in 2020 will be higher than the number of COVID deaths in 2020 - because of the HCQ shortage from recommending HCQ for treating COVID.

When you have an administration that does not use science to make decisions and is not honest, misunderstandings happen. Its not that there was corruption, but that there was not transparency about why decisions were made when they were not supported by science.
This was educational and informative.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tl;dr: its not about whether or not it works. Its about the ethics of distributing limited supply equitably to the people whose lives are most at risk.

Before HCQ, 50% of people with Lupus died within 5 years. Without treatment 20% of those who get malaria will die in weeks.

COVID death rate is much lower. Depending where you are in the world, its 0.3% to <4% with the exceptions of Mexico and Iran which are higher.

This was educational and informative.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So what I heard when I read the comments above was "my white privileged self expects that I should get something I dont need even when a colored disadvanaged person will certainly die because of my action."

This is a snarky remark. I for one, have not paid a lot of attention to the drugs used against Covid. Your explanation made a lot of sense and I now understand. Your last paragraph blew it.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Many Americans have a deep concern and deeply care about others less fortunate. We are the most generous nation in the world. No other nation matches Americans for generosity, so don’t paint everyone with a broad brush.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
"my white privileged self expects that I should get something I dont need even when a colored disadvanaged person will certainly die because of my action."
Not trying to stir the pot - BUT....when the white privileged commandeer a drug (that is actually needed and used for conditions that it has been proven to help) they ARE taking advantage of the folks who need the medication.

As far as snarky...there have been a lot of snarky remarks on this thread that haven't been called out. Let's be fair.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
America is exceptional. America is not perfect, but we are working on it and we always will be working on it. People, living, wonderful people with all their differences, likes, dislikes, and all the things that make them individuals, are dynamic, ever changing and times and customs change with them. We have the freedom to do so.

In countries around the world, dictators, "presidents" that somehow always win the elections, cruel and selfish rulers see to it that their people are subjugated to their whims and desires. People around the world have no voice, to speak up is to face death or a labor camp.

America is exceptional. She can never be perfect because she is made up of imperfect people. Somehow, we make it work and it is always a work in progress.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The whole situation with off label drug use, and availability for those who need that drug for lifeline use, could be resolved by just honestly stating and accepting facts!!!

Yes, it can help
Yes, ramp up supply
Yes, life use gets first priority

Just so simple until you have all the "departments" get into the way!
Limit use until you make more.

Maybe I should run for office! :old 😁

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts