Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
yes, I'm growing a bigger garden this year and preserving everything I can. Big motivation to quit being complacent about goals to not be dependent on grocery stores. I think my family can do it but we never bothered to test it out. I'm thankful this is hitting now before the growing season rather than after.
I agree so much. This is the time to test it out. I'm praying for a good year.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I saw a post the other day that said "Of all the things I learned in kindergarten, avoiding getting cooties was NOT the skill I thought I would need as an adult" ;)

The few times I've had to go in to town, I use a mask (I had several already stockpiled) and gloves. I try to anticipate how many stops I will be making, and pack a fresh pair of gloves for each stop- stripping them off when I get in the car and discarding them. Then I apply sanitizer (had a bunch of that stockpiled too) to hands, steering wheel, and door handle. If I didn't have enough gloves for all the stops, I keep the gloves on, but apply sanitizer onto the gloves. The mask stays on for the whole trip as I don't have enough to discard them.

We bought some UV lamps that DH wants to use on the masks so that hopefully we can reuse them. I don't know if that will work, but since we only have 5 confirmed cases in the county (at last count) I figure the risk is fairly low. Especially since we aren't leaving the house more than once a week.

Next time I go in, I want to stop at JoAnne's Fabrics and pick up fabric for masks as well as some sewing projects. JoAnne's has been offering free material for making masks to donate to essential employees in the county- they are already cut out and all you have to do is sew them up and then donate them. The medical field is using them OVER their regular masks, to make the paper ones last longer.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Joann's is closed here. Mom has been quilting to pass time and really wanted a bit more fabric but can't get it.

She did let dad pick out what color his mask would be.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well, I lost EVERY ONE of the Dorking chicks 😭 The hatchery issued a refund on my credit card, I don't think I'll go with Dorkings anymore-- I found some info that said they seem to be a bit frailer than other breeds and the chicks don't travel well. I know they were a lot smaller than everyone else too. No wonder they're considered a rare breed.
I think we will wait at least 4 weeks before getting some more chicks- By then, the first group will be outside in the brooding house (which is fine when the weather isn't as cold as it's been lately). Then I can order something else. I'm kinda leaning toward Brahmas right now. Anyone have any experiences, good or bad, with them?

This post is not where it belongs, but... it showed up here when I hit the quote button. I expect you'll find it, @Britesea !!! I've never had dorkings OR Brahmas. My understanding is that Brahmas have a great carcass size, tendency to go broody, and feathered feet. Are they also pea combed? The feathered feet would be a deal breaker for me. I despise, detest, can't stand feathered feet. I can see how you would be enamored with Dorkings, I hear they have a tasty carcass!

CDC is now recommending you cover your face when you are out in public to reduce exposure.

I saw a timeline of this virus on Facebook today, and I am not sure what is true and what is fake. However, I believe it listed in January that WHO did not think it was spread from human to human. Do ya'll ever remembered reading something like that?

They also had previously said a mask would not help prevent it.

I think the narrative has changed considerably over time.

Agreed, I am left scratching my head over this: true vs. fake. And, best practice today does not match best practice last week. Do any of us know ANYONE who has been hospitalized with severe covid illness? Do any of us know anyone who works in the medical community who reports the dire circumstances of ICU's over burdened, having to make decisions who gets a ventilator and who doesn't? I know a local ER doc who has yet to treat his first KNOWN covid patient. I will tell you that he is scared for the safety of him, his co-workers, and especially for his family. He and his colleagues are taking over the top, unprecedented precautions. Whether these reports are true or not, the effect this pandemic is having on all of us: economy, food and pharmaceutical supply IS VERY REAL. I can tell you all that it's been a nightmare getting medications for hubby and myself. I'm still without one necessary med. I have a few days worth. But, if I get sick, I will be in a world of hurt b/c it's needed to calm my reactive airway disease.

the easiest way for me to pleat is to put middle finger on the top edge (spacer), pinch with index finger and thumb and fold that pleat and press it with an iron. then repeat for each pleat.

Do you measure? I think I'm gonna just cut 2 long strips, sew facing to front on one long edge, pleat both as a unit, then cut them apart, and bind the side edges with a contrasting piece of fabric, to make a casing to insert elastic to tie into a loop on each side, so the elastic will help hold them to the facepleat the whole thing, then cut top and bottom to size. I plan to leave one edge open (top or bottom) so a disposable liner can be inserted.

On the plus side, it will be nice to have some masks available when cleaning the coop.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Do any of us know ANYONE who has been hospitalized with severe covid illness? Do any of us know anyone who works in the medical community who reports the dire circumstances of ICU's over burdened, having to make decisions who gets a ventilator and who doesn't?

My friend in NYC just went to ER this morning for suspected COVID-19. She had a COVID drive-thru test scheduled today but she's doing very poorly. My SIL is a doctor, she confirmed weeks ago that doctors are having to decide who gets a ventilator (or other treatment) and who doesn't.

I'm thankful that this is happening away from me, but I do have friends and family who are dealing with it directly. :'(

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My friend in NYC just went to ER this morning for suspected COVID-19. She had a COVID drive-thru test scheduled today but she's doing very poorly. My SIL is a doctor, she confirmed weeks ago that doctors are having to decide who gets a ventilator (or other treatment) and who doesn't.

I'm thankful that this is happening away from me, but I do have friends and family who are dealing with it directly. :'(

Tortoise, I am sorry to hear about your friend. I will remember her in my prayers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts