Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score

Read these articles today. I think it is interesting how we have been told for months that it wasn't a big deal. Now, today we are on the verge of a pandemic and the stock market has tumbled.

What are your thoughts?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
world population: by my quick and dirty math a 0.03 x 7,800,000,000 = 234,000,000

USoAian population: 331,000,000 x 0.03 = 9,930,000

how close are these to any kind of accurate numbers? i don't know. how does it affect indigenous people who have no sort of immune system history to this sort of disease? i dunno.

did they close the borders when they should have? no. they made sure "business as usual" was allowed to go on. now they get to reap what they've sown for a bit and then soon enough people will just think it is life as usual. idiots.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Anybody with a 401K should toss some extra money at it if they have any. Stocks are low, it's a good time to buy.

Here locally, some schools have closed for a 4 day weekend because of so many kids being sick with the flu. The school staff then sanitized and cleaned everything.

Everyone should have a good supply of essentials, which most of us already do. We are already into stocking up, this is a good time to get real serious about it.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Time to buy stock

If it gets a hold in the USA, we hunker down, pull DS4 out of public school until it passes. Order everything online, wear gloves, open the boxes outdoors, sanitize/bleach/sun the items before bringing indoors, burn the boxes and gloves.

Until then, business as usual, stock up on essentials and hope for a great garden season. Never hurts to have some motivation and reminders why we choose this lifestyle.

Honestly, I'm way more concerned about the price of hay and keeping my pregnant ewes in good body condition for the next 6 - 8 weeks.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Keeping an eye on where cases are popping up around us. So far we have Seattle and Sacramento. If it gets closer, we plan on self-quarantine (since we are both retired, this is a viable option). Making sure we have what we need to hunker down for at least a month, maybe longer. I feel sorry for those in the medical field and police.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm way more concerned about the price of hay and keeping my pregnant ewes in good body condition for the next 6 - 8 weeks.

check price on beet pulp and alfalfa pellets. It's a viable alternative if hay isn't available. I've used BP to extend the hay since it supplies roughage and I reduce hay. Just a thought. Works for my goats and horses. It's what is in 98% of all "complete" feed. Used to be inexpensive, now it's up there but if hay is hard to get it is a lifesaver. My old stallion never gets hay...can't chew it … but fat & sassy with this.

I work in stores on days I have to work and see several with masks. In some cases, they are sick and protecting others but,, I try to stay safe with alcohol hand wipes, etc. I use a nasal spray, also. It can happen but, I feel safe as it hasn't been an issue where I live -- so far -- flu, etc. Plus, I don't go to a doctor's office, or in pharmacy areas. LOL...sick people are there!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Keeping an eye on where cases are popping up around us. So far we have Seattle and Sacramento. If it gets closer, we plan on self-quarantine (since we are both retired, this is a viable option). Making sure we have what we need to hunker down for at least a month, maybe longer. I feel sorry for those in the medical field and police.

as a hermit i self-quarantine quite a bit. Mom however is out and about often enough that my imagined safe space is really just not what i would prefer. when she comes home i try to remind her to wash her hands and she wears gloves most of the time when she is out anyways, but i know that isn't foolproof.

and i'm not really a germaphobe in that i understand the organic/natural system i dwell within, it's just that, i really don't need to get sick...

Status
Not open for further replies.