Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How's your feed supply, Mini? No shortages of feed in your area?

No issues thus far. TSC & a private feed store are both well stocked. Hope that holds. Another month & grasses will supply a huge increase in forage & decrease in feed buying for a while.

I plan to do more hay buy in early Fall this year. Just need to clean all the "stuff" from my hay storage trailer! Used to buy majority of my hay "up front". Prices got so high & suppliers close, so went to buying a couple weeks at a time. This year I feel I need to revert, "in case".

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
At food demos -- where I have actually prepared a dip, a main course food, a cookie, etc. from scratch -- it is normal for the people to ask what aisle, how packaged, and such. When I say that you MAKE it.....oh, no! A jar, can, frozen prepped, I do. But, nothing from scratch.

People often do not know how to cook, just heat & eat or buy at a drive thru. It's sad, really. Even this current health scare won't change it. Nope, they don't know how to cook.

IF they had to actually butcher.....the only one dead would be the person, from starvation. Even fresh veggies are pretty safe. If you don't cook, you sure don't do "dirt" in a garden. :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
At food demos -- where I have actually prepared a dip, a main course food, a cookie, etc. from scratch -- it is normal for the people to ask what aisle, how packaged, and such. When I say that you MAKE it.....oh, no! A jar, can, frozen prepped, I do. But, nothing from scratch.

People often do not know how to cook, just heat & eat or buy at a drive thru. It's sad, really. Even this current health scare won't change it. Nope, they don't know how to cook.

IF they had to actually butcher.....the only one dead would be the person, from starvation. Even fresh veggies are pretty safe. If you don't cook, you sure don't do "dirt" in a garden. :D

I agree. It's a whole generation or two that have become accustomed to ready to eat meals, so they see no point in learning how to cook or bake unless it would be on special occasions....and most won't even then.

I love to make bread...it's the one thing I do dearly love to bake. I don't love to cook....never did really, just not one of my passions. But, I see it as a necessary skill, a necessary chore and definitely one of my life requirements. I can't even imagine a world in which I didn't cook food from scratch and it's not one I'd want to live in.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Admittedly, I have been cautious in my thoughts to this entire situation. A coworker shared that some commerical/business drivers they know are being issued special driver's licenses.

Wondering out loud if non-essential travel long distances is about to be curtailed.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Admittedly, I have been cautious in my thoughts to this entire situation. A coworker shared that some commerical/business drivers they know are being issued special driver's licenses.

Wondering out loud if non-essential travel long distances is about to be curtailed.

Most likely. I'm also seeing more police presence in and about town than I've ever seen in my life....didn't know they had that many cars and people on the payroll, even.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Non essential travel has been loosely banned in Australia, its still more of a recommendation than a crack down until everyone gets home from where they are. Right in time for school holidays, but they are still promoting vacation travel within home states (to keep the economy going).

64 cases in my state now, I expect it to boom after the weekend. Many seem to be out and about for "one last hurrah" before stricter controls come in. People here will obey the government, but will scream about it on facebook and twitter. I hope we can remain calm enough to listen to the advice, its better to be on the same page than not in this country, with many remote communities at risk of being completely wiped out.

Status
Not open for further replies.