Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My newspaper will report the cases but then they have a statement that county residents could be tested in another county so the numbers they are reporting are not accurate. Plus the health department is late in reporting the numbers so that is another reason the numbers aren't accurate. And so it goes......

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Will never be accurate. Too much overlap.

But. I have plenty of all types of meats, veggies, dairy, staples, coffee, tea, wines, oils and condiments, all in house. No problem with any meals for a long time. I could hermit myself if needed.

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My family is "hermitting". Forecast to peak in my county in 5 weeks, so I'm pretty much stuck home until... next year. I'm getting grocery no contact pickup once a week.

No holiday plans at this point. I would rather enjoy if COVID gets us out of family holiday obligations. 😁 I planted the seed with DH about COVID radically changing holiday plans. Negotiation yet to come...

No Halloween celebration this year. Even if not for COVID our early snow and freezing temps would make trick or treating un-fun.

I will need to celebrate winter holidays somehow or we'll go mad being cooped up. Decorating helps break up the monotony.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think we could feed the neighborhood all winter. LOL
Ditto! DH has forbade me to buy any "canned" anything. But, he can't stop me from canning my own, lol! Plus we have (like you and others) years worth of garden seeds and meat on the hoof.
My family is "hermitting".
I like that! I'm hermitting too!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We will go to my sister's in Conroe for Thanksgiving. My daughter and her family will go too and I think my sister's younger half sister will be there too. My son will probably also go. It will be a small gathering. So much has gone wrong for my sister, her husband died, one of his sons tried to take the house from her, cars, truck, everything. It got bad, but she beat him off. Their will washed away in Hurricane Harvey, but her daughter had a copy and mailed it to her. So her world has blown up this year, no way that we would not go and give her the support she needs. Love my sis.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We will go to my sister's in Conroe for Thanksgiving. My daughter and her family will go too and I think my sister's younger half sister will be there too. My son will probably also go. It will be a small gathering. So much has gone wrong for my sister, her husband died, one of his sons tried to take the house from her, cars, truck, everything. It got bad, but she beat him off. Their will washed away in Hurricane Harvey, but her daughter had a copy and mailed it to her. So her world has blown up this year, no way that we would not go and give her the support she needs. Love my sis.

the will would also normally have a copy at the county clerks or some other location, perhaps even the lawyers office too, so there should be more than one copy around. i'm glad she was able to get it sorted out, but wow, the son doing that, sad... :( by the sounds of it i would take that to be a step-son and not her biological son.

we're perhaps going to have TG dinner at my brother's place as usual, but we told them that if anyone is sick we're not going so they all better be careful... we'll see how it goes. we've been ok so far doing our normal routine, our pod is fairly stable. it's just my brother's family and him that are more out-and-about. i'm a home-body and happily so - i got plenty to do around here. :)

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Well, we have revamped these plans........ with Covid exploding everywhere, we are not making plans.

Covid is back at sickening thousands daily, many are not making it. We have had friends with it, a dear friend that is like a daughter to us is in the hospital now, she has kidney disease and is high risk. She is doing better and may get to go home soon.

Our daughter is a college professor, son in law is an assistant principle, 13 year old grand daughter in 8th grade, the whole 9th grade got sent home because of Covid cases, 5 year old is in kindergarden, 4 year old in day care, they are ALL exposed daily to the risk of Covid. They are in Odessa, Texas, surrounded by hot spots and shut downs. It is just a matter of time before Odessa shuts down too. We are very worried about them. El Paso has brought in 10 morgue trucks to handle the dead. Amarillo, Lubbock and right up against Odessa, Midland are all recording extremely high cases and shutting down.

Our county is exploding with Covid cases, as are surrounding counties. We have a friend that is a nurse, working the Covid floor(s). This stuff is bad. The medications have at least gotten better, rapid response and treatment gets better results than the previous "go home, if you get worse, come back" of last year.

So....... how's it going for everyone? Hope all are well and suffer no sickness.

Thanksgiving? What are your plans? We were planning on gathering at my sister's house in Conroe, now not so sure. Her husband died this year, she has been in a funk and looking forward to Thanksgiving. She has COPD, polymyocitus and other conditions that make her high risk. Our daughter is afraid to go, with all their exposure, she doesn't want to take Covid to her favorite relative. She is thinking that Christmas might be better, they can all get tested and have time to get the results. Maybe.

It's all up in the air, hard to make plans. We want to get together to solidify family ties, visit and enjoy each other, buuuut........ It is scary, sure don't want to sicken our host and worse, she succumb to Covid and die. Yes, this is real and the reality is not pleasant.

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We had several possibilities re Thanksgiving.
1. Here with son and wife
2. Open our house to those who are single, alone, or you just don’t want to cook
3. Go to Oklahoma to be with Ken’s parents

The 3rd option is out. Both parents have CoVid.

Who knows at this point.

Whatever ya’ll decide, may it be a happy one and your table groans with goodies.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it is a mess here, now we have three relative families that are all infected and under quarantine. temperature checks just do not reliably catch all cases and all it takes is one person shedding virus to easily infect everyone else. just hope everyone comes through ok. *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.