Corraling Clothespins

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a pretty serious clothesline situation- a big indoor one and a huge outdoor one. To save space and dry a lot at once, I tend to put things on hangers. This often means clothespinning things like drawstring waists and scoop necklines onto the hanger. On my outdoor clothesline, I have chain to put the hangers into. We also are an almost all cloth family, so I wash a jillion Shmop heads, napkins, microfiber towels, dishrags, and cloth wipes, all of which need one or two pins. And there are five of us.

With this long preamble, I'm trying to get at the fact that, in order to make all this clothesline functional, I have and use a LOT of clothespins, around 500. I have a couple of those little cloth clothespin bags from the hardware, and they just don't cut it. They don't hold enough or hold them well, they are always spilling out. My clothespins are wood, not plastic, so heavy, and there's a bunch of them.

So, does anyone have any ideas for a large, sturdy, slideable along a clothesline holder for hundreds of clothepins?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have an apron with deep pockets for my clothespins, but Only have about 100 pins. It is not heavy though as you r hips take on most of the weight.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Use a duffel bag with a carabiner to slide easily :hu You could leave the zipper closed and unzip as the bag is emptied. It'd probably work better than those clothespin bags for that many pins.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't have near the amount of clothesline or pins, but I have used a plastic grocery bag to hold the pins. Since it wasn't 'slideable' I got tired of having to make so many trips back & forth now I just leave my pins on the line.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't have nearly that many clothespins, but I use a big cloth shopping bag and there should be plenty of room for that many.

I clothespin one side to the line. You can't grab the bag & slide it, but you can grab the clothespin and slide it, if you clip it just right.

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I knew this forum would solve it! :lol:

I have a ton of cloth shopping bags, a couple of which are on the small side so I don't use them that much for groceries, but they would be perfect for clothespins. The chain is the end that's affixed to the anchor, so I can just unhook it and slide the clothespin bag's handles over it. Thanks, noobiechickenlady!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
If you have your lines set up on pulleys you don't need anywhere MOBILE to keep the clothespins, you can just chuck them in a bucket (with a few drainage holes drilled at the bottom) hanging on one of the posts. THen you can stand in one place to hang and take in your laundry.

Pat

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't have near that many either! I use an empty bleach bottle with a hole cut in it towards the top - large enough not to hit my hand when I grab them. I also have a small notch cut on the handle so it will hang on the line as I use it. Just slid it down as needed.