Cough supression

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So I'm sick. And it got progressively worse through the night, to where I finally caved and took mucinex dm. Are there natural options for expectorants and cough suppressants? And ideally easy ones, since part of being sick is that I don't want to move more than 3 feet. SO is studying for tests, so I can't recruit him for help like I normally do when I'm lazy.

What do you do when your lungs are all gooped up and you're coughing?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My Chinese acupuncturist gave me this recipe, and it works great and tastes surprisingly good. You may have to get someone to pick up the ingredients for you, though. I keep a bag in my freezer with the mixture in it for just this reason....who feels like shopping and chopping when you are sick?

Use the white parts and the roots of scallions and some minced ginger (no need to peel, just scrub.) Simmer in some filtered water, covered, on low heat for 30 minutes. Strain and drink throughout the day, hot, with honey. This is an expectorant.

BTW, Mucinex is one of the very few OTC meds we use here. Sometimes you just have to take a pill.....DH is prone to bronchitis, and won't stick with the natural remedies enough for them to be really effective. So I push the mucinex on him and it works. I also get him to double up on all his antioxidant supplements.

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, I was weighing the options (I had nothing else to do since I was laying around sweating and not sleeping) and it seemed like mucinex would be the better bet than sudafed.

I'll consider that, but what does it taste like? I don't really like scallions or ginger :lol: I know, I'm picky. I try and work on it, but bleh. I do like chai tea though, which has some ginger in it.

How do antioxidants help with bronchitis?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Antioxidants are very anti-inflammatory and also really boost the immune system.

I found that it was surprisingly yummy. But I do love ginger and scallions...the combo sounds much more disgusting than it is. Remember, this is medicine, not a treat! There was a time when medicine was not expected to taste like candy....not dissing you, just saying....we do have to adjust our thinking when we decide to go the natural route! So hold your nose and "down the hatch!" :p

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
honestly, the question to me is: Do you want to suppress the cough?

if you are coughing, there is something that needs out.

i like to steam the junk out of my lungs. as i'm in colorado, i often need that bit of help to get things out LOL.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Put vicks on the bottom of your feet at night, works instantly and you won't cough all night.
Carve out a turnip, fill with brown sugar replace cap as you would a pumpkin, and let turn into syrup overnight. Take a tblsp now and then as required

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Steam with a couple of drops of peppermint oil (real stuff, not frangrance oil!!) or peppermint tea steam works well to get junk out of your lungs.

I've tried the recipe that Free posted, it works and really doesn't taste bad. It is medicine and not something I would drink for pleasure, but it does help a LOT. Passed it around to friends as well with great results.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have forced the Man to drink Free's cough suppressant, with good results!
He hated it, but he did admit it made him feel better.

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Fine fine fine ya'll have me convinced. I'll whip some up when I get the chance, even if it's for a future cold. Which then begs the question: what's the best way to store this for future use? Freeze the fully prepped liquid? Or freeze the component parts?