Cough supression

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Remember as those scallions cook, they'll loose that hot raw oniony taste and they will sweeten up.

The recipe I got from a former roomate from Lithuania is as follows: chop up some onion fairly fine, add sugar to cover. Let sit until syrup forms and take a teaspoon or so when needed. I've heard of other people using honey instead of sugar. This tastes amazingly good (but then I love onions). It is excellent for a sore throat and coughing that occurs do to sore throat.

To help with sleeping at night my mother always gave us a glass of warm milk with honey and a pat of butter in it. Works like a charm. It soothes the throat and puts you to sleep. Tastes good too.

A very hot bath with soothing herbs like lavendar or sage can help clear the mucus and help you get some sleep. Snugle up in lots of blankets after the bath and do some sweating to burn those nasty bugs out.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I don't generally take anything unless it is a painful or dry cough; but when I do, I have had good results from something similar to Free's concoction only with garlic instead of scallion.

Or, when I am lazy or in a hurry, just a big ol' tablespoon of honey, with or without a raw or pickled clove of garlic chewed and swallowed before it.

Hope you're feeling better soon,

Pat

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
abifae said:
honestly, the question to me is: Do you want to suppress the cough?

if you are coughing, there is something that needs out.

i like to steam the junk out of my lungs. as i'm in colorado, i often need that bit of help to get things out LOL.
As a very general rule....use an expectorant for a mucousy cough, and a suppressent for a dry, scratch cough...also known as a self-perpetuating cough, in that the cough causes irritation and makes it worse, as there is nothing to really cough up.

Yum.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Whenever my son and I get a cold, we need an expectorant. would these remedies be a repalcement for an expectorant, or for a cough suppressant. My dd and hubby, though need suppressants.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I think most of the recipes here, if not all, are expectorants. On the rare occasion that I need a suppressant, lots of hot tea works for me, as well as sipping aloe juice...but too much aloe can give you diarrhea, so be careful!

For either, you need to take it often throughout the day.

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Right now I'm at a horrible cross roads between expectorant and suppressant. I get it "expressed" enough, if you will, and then just have dry scratchy coughs left over... it's pretty much cycling back and forth between the two, with a little fever thrown in to keep it from getting boring. :p

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
The recipe I got from a former roomate from Lithuania is as follows: chop up some onion fairly fine, add sugar to cover. Let sit until syrup forms and take a teaspoon or so when needed.
My Ma suggested this to me when my 10yo was about 6mos & too young for any OTC meds and it worked great. I still use it when they have coughs or sore throats due to colds, they hate it because of the onions but it does work.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Or, when I am lazy or in a hurry, just a big ol' tablespoon of honey, with or without a raw or pickled clove of garlic chewed and swallowed before it.
Sidetracked = did you know pickled garlic goes really, really well with brie and strawberries? Whuda thunkit? But seriously :drool

I remembered my dad use to mix up some crushed peppermints with hot water & add a splash of whiskey for a cough or cold.

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Put vicks on the bottom of your feet at night, works instantly and you won't cough all night.
Carve out a turnip, fill with brown sugar replace cap as you would a pumpkin, and let turn into syrup overnight. Take a tblsp now and then as required
The Vicks on the bottom of your feet works.We have done this for ages, my grandma always made us do this ,then put socks on.:D MC, how long can you keep the syrup in the turnip?

NMEggLady

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I use a natural herb tincture called "Lung Tonic" made by Herbs Etc out of Santa Fe, NM. Whenever I start feeling a tightness in my chest I start dosing myself with "Lung Tonic" - haven't been sick in 10 years.

Latest posts