Could you live in an 84 sq ft home?

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
More power to her - but that's not for me.

I live in the same three bedroom home I've had since 1978 (and it's paid for!). It's a modest sized cape, 36' by 24', with a 15' x 17' addition I added. There's nothing fancy or McMansionish about my home, nor do I want one like that. It's cheap to heat, easy to cool, and comfortably sized for a family of four. I'll probably die here, surrounded by my gardens, honeybees and chickens :coolsun

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Anybody COULD live in an 84 sq ft home, if they genuinely had to. "Can't" falls away remarkably quickly in times of dire need ;)

However I have trouble believing there are more than, like, twelve people on the planet who would *prefer* to live that way, other than as a stunt.

I sure wouldn't do it on purpose myself. Your average horse stall is 144 sq ft. (well, your average *adequate-sized* horse stall :p). That would be not too awful bad, I think, if you had to do it, as long as you had bathing facilities elsewhere.

Pat, in a 1200 sq ft home that I consider amply big enough for a family of 4 plus 4 cats.

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We live in a 1350 square foot home that we built about 10 years ago.
In that home we have three growing boys - 16, 11, and 9. My husband and myself as well as 3 dogs most of the time :p.
We live quite comfortably. At times it seems a little crowded but most of the time we do OK. I don't think I would ever want to go smaller and if I could, the only thing I would change would be my kitchen. It is tiny and I would love more space in there!!

mirime

Power Conserver
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Pat, in a 1200 sq ft home that I consider amply big enough for a family of 4 plus 4 cats.
We have 1100 sq, two people, one dog, five cats and a parakeet!

Sometimes I think it's too big (when I have to clean!) LOL I HATE to clean!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nope, I would not. Too small for me but I would live in something small if it was just me, like 600-800 sq ft.

This 84 sq ft home.....LOL...it is a cabin that is available at one of the KOA campgrounds I stay at in the mountains.

Those models are easily purchased, they deliver on wheels and you can get them any size, with bathrooms, oven, micros, etc. etc. etc.

They are park and cabin models and the KOA had a few new ones delivered and I walked thru them....heck, some a little bigger had a real staircase going upstairs.

So this is a nice way to get a small vacation home etc. if needed, but too small for me to live in.

COOL though!!!

nccountrygirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That is us exactly. 1100 sq. ft 2 people, 1 cat, 1 dog and no bird. But it's big enough for us.

BrookValley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Me? No. But I live with a husband, a toddler, and 3 pit bulls. 3 pit bulls that are, er, a bit too flatulent and otherwise odor-ific to share such a small space with. :lol: If I were young and single again, I'd probably give it a go.

You can't argue with her reasons why, though. She wanted to live more simply and without financial burden. There ya go! No mortgage, hardly any utility bill ($6 or less per month for home heating costs). No huge house to clean. No room for "stuff" to clutter her space (and her life). Think of the freedom that she must have, not chained to those things.

Definitely not for everybody, of course. But if you're comfortable that way, it seems perfectly reasonable.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
No thanks :) I don't want huge, but I do enjoy a little space. I'm perfectly content right where I am and hope to live here until I die!