coup prep for freezing weather

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know this is an older post-but as winter is approaching I thought I would read through it--very good article btw @WildBird.

What about sub zero temps for more than a day or two? I plan on doing the DLM too but is that enough? I have a 6x6 coop with plenty of ventilation and 8 chickens. First time winter though, DH thinks I need to add heat but I am on the fence--I want to "baby" them but they are also farm animals. I plan on plasticing the run so they can venture outside and their water will be outside (which will have a livestock heater in it). Someone recommended heat tape on the roost? Is this necessary or even good for them?

Thanks for all the help!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
What about sub zero temps for more than a day or two? I plan on doing the DLM too but is that enough? I have a 6x6 coop with plenty of ventilation and 8 chickens. First time winter though, DH thinks I need to add heat but I am on the fence--I want to "baby" them but they are also farm animals. I plan on plasticing the run so they can venture outside and their water will be outside (which will have a livestock heater in it). Someone recommended heat tape on the roost? Is this necessary or even good for them?

Thanks for all the help!
What breed of chickens do you have?

I have never had a chicken willing to venture out in snow.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What breed of chickens do you have?

I have never had a chicken willing to venture out in snow.
my hope is with the run wrapped there will be no snow for them to "worry" about. Just their frozen run ground with some added straw out there for their feet. I have a spot that I am going to keep open at the 8ft mark to keep the air flowing but that is about it. I have a mixed flock of Brahma, Wyandotte, Barred Rock, Leghorn (not very hardy) and Polish (not at all hardy). And maybe I am crazy to think that they will go out at all, but hopeful

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I had Leghorns in a indoor coop with a heat lamp and they did just fine. That coop was cement block - part of my barn - so it was a little more temperate than an average coop. Rhode Island Red roosters with the carnation comb had a heck of a time with frostbite.

I have Silkies (walnut comb, generally considered cold hardy) and just added 4 Barred Rock pullets. I think they are low risk for frostbite.

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My silkies won't touch snow. It's acid!

The ameraucana and EEs will come out unless it's too deep. Then they wait for me to stamp it down. First snowfall always makes them freak out, though.

Wide wood roosts. Then no issues. They will sleep on their feet and keep them warm. 2x4 laid flat works very well.

I use the deep litter method, but the coop is 8x15 with a dirt floor. Lot's of worms and other stuff. I don't know how well it works in smaller spaces. Just that the 2x3 silkie houses that they only sleep and lay in must be cleaned out regularly.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My Silkie hen is broody and sitting on 5 eggs. I plan to cull (sell) 2 of her 3 chicks from this summer's hatch, and she lost her spring hatch to a weasel. So I let her sit on eggs even though it's getting chilly here. If she hatches them successfully I might add a heat lamp over the food and water when they are a couple weeks old. IDK, we'll see how she does.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My Silkie hen is broody and sitting on 5 eggs. I plan to cull (sell) 2 of her 3 chicks from this summer's hatch, and she lost her spring hatch to a weasel. So I let her sit on eggs even though it's getting chilly here. If she hatches them successfully I might add a heat lamp over the food and water when they are a couple weeks old. IDK, we'll see how she does.
@tortoise did your Silkie ever hatch her eggs?

Latest posts