coup prep for freezing weather

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Trying2keepitReal last February 2021, we had 10 days of freak record breaking winter storm in Texas. In my area, it got to MINUS SIX degrees! The only thing I did different for my chickens was to give them a fresh water jug twice a day, full of hot water. The frozen one went in the bathtub to thaw out. They also got treats of fat and BOSS. My coop only had one solid side. The sides had 1 foot of wire at the bottom and the front was wire. No heat lamp. Chickens were fine. Ever hear that old saying, “Tough ol’ bird!”

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Trying2keepitReal last February 2021, we had 10 days of freak record breaking winter storm in Texas. In my area, it got to MINUS SIX degrees! The only thing I did different for my chickens was to give them a fresh water jug twice a day, full of hot water. The frozen one went in the bathtub to thaw out. They also got treats of fat and BOSS. My coop only had one solid side. The sides had 1 foot of wire at the bottom and the front was wire. No heat lamp. Chickens were fine. Ever hear that old saying, “Tough ol’ bird!”
we had -4 at my place. i covered the door qith plastic and put two heat lamps in. the coop stayed pretty warm

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
we are at -12 and the coop was -5 this morning, but they all came out happy to eat this morning! egg laying hasn't slowed too much. can't wait until Feb because we typically don't have the below 0 temps. I have upped some of their fatty and protein treats
Same here. I've been giving them an omega 3 supplement too.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was ran over by a pen of silkies today. They staged a rebellion because they haven't been out in well over a month because of snow, rain, and mud. Ran right over my feet as soon as I opened the pen to water them.

Our temps have been moderate. The olive eggers I got back in August are starting to lay. Some of them are very big pullets and are giving large eggs.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was ran over by a pen of silkies today. They staged a rebellion because they haven't been out in well over a month because of snow, rain, and mud. Ran right over my feet as soon as I opened the pen to water them.

haha! :)

Our temps have been moderate. The olive eggers I got back in August are starting to lay. Some of them are very big pullets and are giving large eggs.

are they all the same shade of color or all slightly different?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
are they all the same shade of color or all slightly different?

The birds are that wild type partridge color. 2 are darker and bigger and the other 2 are lighter color and the same size as the easter eggers.

So far the eggs from the 2 laying have been light olive. I've had darker from regular easter eggers. Actually the 11 year old hen lays a darker one and is coming up on the time of year where she shows them how eggs are supposed to look.

I won't waste money at the feed store for olive egger chicks again. I know someone who has a good ameraucana rooster with her black copper marans hens. I'll see about getting some eggs.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
One thing I have started doing during the really cold days is covering up their roof vent with pieces of carpet, since their pop up door is open and provides enough ventilation. Then when I close them up for the night I take the carpet down. Seems to be working just fine and is also keeping wind hurricanes from forming with the high winds we have had.

Last edited: