Coyotes are here!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well we knew they were around.

Scott who hunts our land sets up wildlife cameras cause he wants that monster buck....lol.....and what is on it....a coyote.

Barb (dairy farm friend), her land butts up to mine and she said she hears coyotes int he woods all the time at night.......so yup, she is right.......they are on candid camera.

They released a bunch in NC ALOT farther away and like any critter, the wandered and yup, they are in our area now with a good population apparantly.

So being more on my toes with more things wanting to eat my chickens and critters..HA HA HA

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
well we knew they were around.

Scott who hunts our land sets up wildlife cameras cause he wants that monster buck....lol.....and what is on it....a coyote.

Barb (dairy farm friend), her land butts up to mine and she said she hears coyotes int he woods all the time at night.......so yup, she is right.......they are on candid camera.

They released a bunch in NC ALOT farther away and like any critter, the wandered and yup, they are in our area now with a good population apparantly.

So being more on my toes with more things wanting to eat my chickens and critters..HA HA HA
we have them too lol but you can't tell at night whether it is the dogs next door howling or the coyotes LOL.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
After moving to our new home which is on the edge of a large open space I did a little research to learn about our new neighbors...the coyotes. They have always been around but I never heard them before, I have seen them about 4-5 times in my 40 yrs. Now I just saw one last week at 7:15 in the morning and I hear them in my back yard at night, or at least that is how it sounds!

In my research I learned that they are very opportunistic and are looking for easy meals. Just being diligent about trash and leaving pet food out will help to NOT draw them into your property...once they find that you provide an easy meal, just like any other stray animal, they will hang around.

Take a look around your property and make sure that there are no easy meals around!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL--they do make the strangest noises! creepy!

yea Dace you are right. no easy meals. but it gets old always having to be Fort Knox for all the animals..>LOL...but we have to do it right?

Fortunately here is easy weather and coyotes do have alot of small game choices to eat. All the field rats and squirrels etc. so I know there is not alot of trouble actually with them at this point. I keep alot of wooded acerage for deer and wildlife and at the same time that keeps the coyotes eating good and hopefully away from my animals.

You are right though...prevention is best! :)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
We have loads of them in WI. I love listening to their eerie howling and yipping on summer nights when the windows are open. We have never lost a single adult chicken to animals, and they were completely free ranging 24/7 last year. But, the farm buildings where the chickens are at are a bit away from the woods. No telling what would happen if the chickens were at our house, which abuts the woods. They are great for cleaning up carcases.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
:ep Some one released coyotes?????? Boy those are creatures who need no assistance at all to make their livelihoods. They are literally everywhere- I think they have them in New York City.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
:ep Some one released coyotes?????? Boy those are creatures who need no assistance at all to make their livelihoods. They are literally everywhere- I think they have them in New York City.
A while back they released a bunch of grey wolfs out west I believe, and their population got way out of hand and they had to be "taken back," again so they were allowing hunters to shoot and bring in the carcass for cash.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea ETR can you believe that!
More remote area of NC they decided to introduce some coyotes back into the area.....like they would stay there ya know....like hey, coyote, stay in this 1000 acres and don't leave...LOL-LOL

alot of opposition but they won and they did it and now those suckers are everywhere. incredible isn't it.

we have a black carolina panther that is (for lack of a better word) extinct in the area....Tony said he swears he saw one at the old homestead in tree cruising one night at dark....but he isn't 100% sure and it was long ago when he was alot younger. BUT they aren't around now and gee, lets bring back the panther to the neighborhoods..LOL

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
About three weeks ago the local vets office posted a sign saying that a coyote with rabies was confirmed to be found in our area. :ep Thankfully I have not seen any around my house but two of my neighbors said they have shot one.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have coyotes, and they sure do have us. I lost my kitten a couple months ago. I told that lovely story about the coyote looking in the back door and yipping at my other cat. Scarred me and the cat to death. I have only lost chickens when they were out free ranging.

Last week my neighbor called to tell me she saw a coyote in the yard. It was missing a foot and looked like it had mange. I imagine it was probably rabid. Brave old woman chased it off with a shovel I think, I kept my kids and cat in for the rest of the day. I think I need a gun.