Coyotes are here!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Her in Ohio there is open season them.:D I plan on trying to call them in this spring. We shall see.....

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We have black panthers here also, despite the game warden's insistence that they are not native to the area. We have had several confirmed sightings but they still deny their existence! Wonder if this, too, was one of those release some into the wild thing that they don't want people to know.

I've only heard the 'yotes one time here and it was beautiful...my younger dog joined in the howling and I loved it! I am pretty far away from the woods here also, so I imagine this is why we never actually see any. Plus, a coyote would have to be plumb crazy to step foot in this yard...my dogs are bored and loaded for bear! :p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey SKR

I told Tony to hunt them....find out if there "is a season" or whatever and he said they are protected?
Hmmm....for some reason I think they can be hunted----so I am going to check into it!

But being a farmer I have that whole "protect the livestock" thing happening and I am sure it applies to coyotes.

COOL

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey NC had the black panthers also which are all gone now, or are they????LOL
Remember too people now have exotics as pets and you never know, something could be loose out there at any given time!! :)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I just wanted to throw out that they do not only live in wooded areas....we are in the coastal desert of CA and while we live in a hilly area, it is not wooded. We have lived her for about 5 weeks now and have had 3 sightings...all around 7am!

They really are beautiful creatures and I think as long as there is plenty of mice and rabbits around to keep them busy, they won't go after your critters...then again just like a stray cat, once they find an easy meal forget it! I do not believe that they like to work all that hard for food, so minimum security around critters should suffice....then again I live in an area where their prey is plentiful, so I guess that doesn't apply to everyone here!

Gina, your story is scary! I wonder what is going on up in V that is causing the coyotes to come to houses?

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There was a news report on last night about them being sighted in a neighborhood in Cincinnati. Every so often it comes up that they're getting small dogs, etc. I actually saw one crossing the 4 lane highway through town last night. I see and hear them very rarely around here, and the only thing I can figure is that there is a lot of wooded area around here, so they've got enough to eat & don't need to come bother me.

I'm probably going to regret saying this, but I think that's also the reason we don't have deer in my gardens. In the 3 years, I've been gardening here, the only time deer come down is at the end of the summer when everything's dried out, and they probably have run out of food elsewhere. I know, I'm REALLY lucky!!!! Here's hoping the luck holds out!

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I agree that the main food for coyotes is small animals like mice, lizards, insects, rabbits, etc. They are also very adaptable and opportunistic. They have been known to take down new born calves. They will prey on chickens and anything else they think they can eat.

Some states consider them varmints and have no restrictions on killing them. Other states consider them fur-bearers and have a season. I would imagine you can get nuisance permits for livestock depredation.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dace said:
Gina, your story is scary! I wonder what is going on up in V that is causing the coyotes to come to houses?
Vista has been building and filling in the hillsides since I moved here 9 years ago. When I came it still had a rural feel. There are not many open hillsides left. My sister is up near the beach in Orange county an she saved her neighbors cat from the mouth of a coyote. I just think they are everywhere.

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have lived with coyotes for as long as I can remember. Thankfully they haven't ever came through town or accosted any farm animals.

Cougars are the main scare around here. My son was running for excercise about a mile out of town and no kidding a cougar crossed the road at a trot in front of him. Then this fall there was a cougar that wandered through town in the middle of the day. You can only shoot cougars at a certain time of year here but if they are threatening you then it's ok to kill them. If cougars attack your livestock (which they have) you are not allowed to shoot them.

There is a man who hunts coyotes at night here. He sells the hides to a fur trade company. We have considered trapping as a hobby in the winter time but never moved on it.

John Porter

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Coyotes in NC are not protected. You can hunt coyotes year round in NC and trap them for 4 months(Nov-Feb). The only protected furbearer in NC is the coons and foxes in different counties. Coons should be open to trapping this coming season(2009) if we have our way with the state.
John Porter