coyotes kill girl

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
A really scary thing that I accidently cornered was the biggest raccon in the world- it was above knee height and making awful noises at me and showing it's teeth.
There is a world of difference between animals that only want you to go away vs animals that think of you as dinner. You can't turn your back on those for sure. Which is what makes pack hunters so successful- they can usually get you fom so many directions.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I could only wish that coyotes were that brave here. They make a lot of noise, but other than that, they shy from people. Granted, I don't think I'd run up to someone after being shot at, or having my relatives shot or caught in traps...

Miltonchix

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I have a friend who, as an afterthought, grabbed his .44 Magnum to take out to see what his dog was raising heck over. He BARELY had time to raise and fire the weapon and caught the coyote in mid leap at his throat! That was over 20 years ago and he still gets shaky and pale thinking about it.
Suffice it to say that a 44 Magnum didn't leave much. He hit it in the sternum and split it end to end. Just a couple days after this incident another young man was walking home from McDonalds on a rural road with food for all his drunk buddies. He had to surrender the Mc D's to a pack of coyotes or fight for it. Fortunately for him, even drunk, he had sense enough to surrender the burgers.
The coyotes are becoming more and more brazen.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
don't be turning your back on that raccoon either.

rabies is a bigger concern for those types of critters.

that "seemingly" harmless coon that might not kill ya in one bite, might make your life awful miserable at the hospital.

Ease away slowly, walking backwards..LOL

WOW some scary encounters definitely!

My brother went to the Grand Canyon area. He left his Marriott hotel and took a fast hike thru the woods alone behind the hotel. Just to see the views....he ran into a moose. He said that moose had very very bad intentions and he turned and ran full speed back to the hotel! He sure isn't a hunter type...LOL...he said it scared the far out of him big time.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We walked out our back door to go check on the chickens one night. Eh, it was probably 8 or 9, just been dark a short while. I walked past our vehicles and I heard thundering paw and something hit my leg. I didn't even have time to look and see what just charged and attacked my leg. I squealed like a little sissy girl, jumped 2 feet in the air, and then looked back at my husband who was giving me the raised eyebrow.

LMAO

My attacker? A large basset hound looking for some company.

My husband laughed at me and I explained, I didn't know what it was. It was dark, I had just walked past my vehicle, so it was like a large blind spot, and it was on me in less than a second.

:lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
anything in the "DARK" makes it 10 times scarier...HA HA HA

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It doesn't help when you frequent the BYC Predator and Pests board. Walk out in the dark and get jumped by something. :lol:

Adam said I overreacted. Of course, he was several feet behind me. I think there is a space issue there, of course something isn't near as scary 12 feet away as it is 2 feet away. A certain "awareness" issue there. LOL

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I never liked anything "above me"

Like when I pull down a bale of hay from the giant stack, climb up to drop one to the ground. I am right up in those rafters and right above my head is every spider (big'uns too) and I just know they are SO CLOSe to my HEAD AND HAIR----Uhhh...the feeling is super creepy to me!

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I never liked anything "above me"

Like when I pull down a bale of hay from the giant stack, climb up to drop one to the ground. I am right up in those rafters and right above my head is every spider (big'uns too) and I just know they are SO CLOSe to my HEAD AND HAIR----Uhhh...the feeling is super creepy to me!
You just gave me the chills thinking about that.

We have spiders in our barn, because we have a dirt/floor with the open rafter barn. There are hundreds in there, that make webs absolutely everywhere! I'll take a broom and knock them all down, but they'll be back up in force the next night.

My method for getting around them? Duck! And if you feel something crawling on you, closing your eyes, say it's a beetle, whipe it off, and then go about your business.

You know, that would be a good thread. *is off to start "Spiders in Barn" thread. * :lol:

Latest posts