Crafts using Recycled Materials

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like the look. But was wondering how it will be for the plants. Tires do offgas a good bit. So I reckon they would leech into soil too.

Anyone know for a fact if they do?
Yup, they do. Old tires are considered bad for the environment and all kinds of bad stuff. So of course, some brainiac decided rubber crumb would be perfect for children's playgrounds. :th

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Do you have any sources to cite? I've been debating this with a friend and he's the sort that needs reading material. Haven't had the chance to search.

cyrhere

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I changed tires a couple of weeks back. We have been looking for ways to upcycle them.
Here is one my husband and I agreed on doing...

Screenshot_2015-09-24-09-32-58.png

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That is pretty cool.

I saw this on face book the other day. A bit out of my league right now and no where enough time. But I still thought it was amazing. I love art.

recycled%20tire%20garden%20alligators_0.jpg

I don't even have time to draw or paint right now. Heck my garden almost looks like a forrest. Gonna take a weeks vacation soon and get stuff done. And hopefully paint. Yeah. Painting comes before the garden. It's been so long.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Those would fit right in at my place right now, lol. I love them!

Yes - paint!

cyrhere

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh, that's cool! Will you use it for an ottoman, or another purpose?

That was the original plan. But I thought it may not be that comfortable without cushions? it would also be heavy.

Thinking of adding a round glass on top and turn it into a table for the kids to play on. As they like playing on the floor- This would be the perfect height. :)

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a sweater I knitted that is rapidly becoming unwearable now due to my weight loss. I've been thinking I wanted to do something like this since the yarn was a beautiful merino/silk mix and cost a bundle.

Do it! I'd love to see a pic of the finished hanks before you knit them into a new sweater.