Crafts using Recycled Materials

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hate those plastic grocery bags. I even own plenty of fabric bags, but do you think I always remember to put them back in my truck after using them? Nope...:( DH is awesome about recycling them, but sometimes, just sometimes I like to hang on to a few of them.

I usually steal my grandkids for a week or so any chance I get (I hope to get them this summer) and I'm always looking for fun stuff to do with them. Bonus if the fun stuff has a earth friendly lesson imbedded in it.

I found this project and it looks like fun and one that they will enjoy.

100_2595.JPG

The instructions are straight forward and fairly simple.
http://www.steppingthrucrazy.com/2010/04/plastic-bag-beads.html

Any other ideas/suggestions?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I occasionally have ...ahem...an empty wine bottle or two hanging around. Isn't this cool?! I think they'd look really cool attached to the support pillars o the back porch. Love it! There's only about a billion other ideas for wine bottles out there!

upload_2016-6-2_21-3-43.png

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have seen woman in South Africa using strips of old, or used plastic shopping bags for crocheting very pretty carrier bags, or handbags. There are some tutorials and examples online, here's some:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Recycle-Plastic-Shopping-Bags-into-Yarn/

I'm always interested to see crocheting in other countries and that is very clever! Not only are the women keeping plastic trash out of the landfill, they are also crafting sturdy, functional items that will last a long time.

As a crocheter, I would have gone broke a long time ago buying yarn for my projects if I hadn't learned to reclaim yarn. Here's a great description of how the process can generate mounds of useable yarn, if you have the time to invest:

THRIFT STORE SWEATER

2210013786_fafbeef2d7.jpg

RECLAIMED YARN

2209220223_1e57202b4d.jpg

https://chaoticcrafter.wordpress.com/2008/01/21/reclaiming-yarn-from-a-thrift-store-sweater/

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I made a necklace for my little crystal ball out of keyrings.

My other crafts using junque require welders cutoff wheels and torches and what not.

FB_IMG_1464729970116.jpg

FB_IMG_1464729946638.jpg FB_IMG_1460510983013.jpg

If you know how and have the ability teaching your young folk can be really beneficial to their adult lives. Just like learning arts and crafts can teach them how to think outside the box so too can learning metal work and what not.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And this... I might be able to do this one. Doesn't look like it would take much skill or strength, lol.

24-DIY-Tire-Projects-Creatively-Upcycle-and-Recycle-Old-Tires-Into-a-New-Life-39.jpg

Reactions: CJ1

cyrhere

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That is pretty cool.

I saw this on face book the other day. A bit out of my league right now and no where enough time. But I still thought it was amazing. I love art.

recycled%20tire%20garden%20alligators_0.jpg

I don't even have time to draw or paint right now. Heck my garden almost looks like a forrest. Gonna take a weeks vacation soon and get stuff done. And hopefully paint. Yeah. Painting comes before the garden. It's been so long.

Wow. I had to look twice before realizing these were tires. I thought you erroneously pasted the picture or something.

Cool.

Reactions: CJ1

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks for the links, Calista! I just might have to get back into crocheting just so I can do this. :) This is a great time to start watching for end of season deals on sweaters.