Craigslist blessing :D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I found last night a flock of chickens that is practically free the deal is so good! They are $2 each, all between 5-9 months old, some laying already, some getting to POL. The man told me he was leaving town for an extended stay, and his elderly mother will be unable to keep up with the demands of the flock in his absence, so he listed them at a very low price to unload them quickly :D I was a bit leery, and called mostly out of curiosity. I do have a few folks who need some of these birds, so they will not all be coming home with me. There are about 50 of them. My mother will get some, and the homeless shelter is in need of a decent laying flock(maybe a dozen) to keep them in eggs and give the men a little something to do. I hope the ad is all it's cracked up to be lol!

This will allow me to help my neighbors and myself. Two neighbors get my excess eggs now, one family is having financial difficulties, and the other just loves yard eggs and repays me in a sack of chicken feed a couple times per month :D Then, my new processor, who is asian, will process any roosters for me for the innards and part of the meat that she wants. I will get the bulk of the meat for my freezer, and get the feathers for my little side business doing hair feathers.

I am trusting that this is a blessing, that the birds are healthy, and will be what I am looking for, for us, and others that this will help. I'm a little excited at the whole prospect of getting such a great deal, and helping everyone out in the process!!! Can ya tell? :lol: :weee :weee

I guess I will find out this afternoon when I go to get them :woot

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Could you give more details on the hair feathers? I did a google search and asked my stylist about them and she said the kids want the brightly dyed ones almost exclusively. She showed me the packages and they are expensive! I enjoyed telling her they were simply rooster feathers, and pointing out which part of the roo they were taken from, and sometimes the breed. ("Looks like a Barred Rock or a Dominique!") :lol: Her reaction was priceless. Everyone thinks they are something exotic. Not rooster bum feathers!

Her concern with home dye jobs on them is that the dye would bleed onto her client's hair and she'd be liable.

I have five roosters to process maybe this week and they have gorgeous hackle and saddle feathers.

Dreaming of Chickens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think it's great that you guys are finding one more use for your birds after they have been processed. The less that goes to waste the better. Have you read about where a lot of these stylists are getting the feathers? It's the same feathers that they use to make fly fishing lures. In most of those cases the birds are raised just for the tail feathers and then killed for them because they would not survive the plucking. The rest of the bird goes to waste. That kind of wastefulness just makes me sick.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
What a wonderful blessing!!!

I hope it turns out as good as it sounds! Or better!!!

Congrats!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
During the summer my neice was working in South Carolina, and she had some hair feathers in. I FB'ed her saying__Now whendid you come over and steal some feathers off my Roo!!! She had a coupla barred rock saddle feathers in her hair. She said net time she would come over and get some feathers. Theyed be alot cheaper. I didn't ask her how much it cost though.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Could you give more details on the hair feathers? I did a google search and asked my stylist about them and she said the kids want the brightly dyed ones almost exclusively. She showed me the packages and they are expensive! I enjoyed telling her they were simply rooster feathers, and pointing out which part of the roo they were taken from, and sometimes the breed. ("Looks like a Barred Rock or a Dominique!") :lol: Her reaction was priceless. Everyone thinks they are something exotic. Not rooster bum feathers!

Her concern with home dye jobs on them is that the dye would bleed onto her client's hair and she'd be liable.

I have five roosters to process maybe this week and they have gorgeous hackle and saddle feathers.
Go to WalMart and get specifically FIBER dye. When you dye them, make sure to rinse the salt(activator) and dye out really well, and just blow dry them. It's easy as pie. I sell them for a dollar each to my cousin who owns a salon, and she has gotten me more business from competing salons. I also have a client at the local beauty school :D I'm makin a killing, and almost feel bad about it. Almost ;)

The salons charge upwards of $10 per feather to put them in. :ep My cousin charges $5, and has been doing really well. No since ripping people off so bad if ya ask me. Lots of folks did not know it was chicken feathers here either. We're in the COUNTRY people, for cryin out loud, get a clue already :gig

Well folks, it turned out, there are about 5 that are laying now, about 10 or 11 roos, and a few who are a good bit younger than the others, but for the most part, the guy was spot on. I came home with 44 chickens for $84 :woot He threw in a couple banties for free :lol:

I already have some resold, and an appointment for my processor to come take care of the roos to put in the freezer. I still can't believe I found someone to do all that mess for the guts, head, and feet part of the bird, but I am VERY willing to share more meat with her if she wants, just so I don't have to do all that mess myself :D DH and DD won't help at all. Too squeamish :lol:

I love that not a single part of these birds are going to go to waste too. I don't think I could eat feet, but I guess if I was hungry...or Asian and grew up doing it....either way, I am just happy that it will be a complete clean process all the way down to the feathers. Waste not, want not ;)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
You don't have to eat the feet....just throw them in the stock pot for soup! :D

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Youngest DD this week made her own hair accessory using one a hair doo-dad and a chicken's feather from one of my layers. :th

I'm not ready to jump into this market yet. :rolleyes: :p

Nice deal on the chix, WBF. :thumbsup

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Youngest DD this week made her own hair accessory using one a hair doo-dad and a chicken's feather from one of my layers. :th

I'm not ready to jump into this market yet. :rolleyes: :p

Nice deal on the chix, WBF. :thumbsup
If you don't jump in, you probably won't get in. It's just a fad that will be "old and ugly" by next year. I'm cashin in while I can :lol: I bought these chickens with hair feather profits ;)