Crazy... Beverage tax

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wife shared this with me, it's not our receipt - I rarely drink soda but still this is freaking crazy. I told my wife for that price I could brew up some sassafras root and local honey and make a much better soft drink (root beer) for less.
FB_IMG_1503113823916.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
WOW! That's crazy. But the Counties & States are making $$ to support all of their operational expenses. I haven't bought a 24 pack of sodas in years! :) drink one maybe once a month.

While this one shown is IMO excessive ... I do agree that things such as a sales tax are more agreeable than upping the Real Estate taxes all the time. I feel those who do not own property still USE all the services available and this is the best way to allow them to contribute to costs of providing services. This is especially true if you live in a tourist influx location.

In my area the increased taxes for restraurant/prepared food, lodging, etc. helps offset some of the local costs of the beach visitors. And parking fees are seen in those places. Most areas have increased tax for liquor & tobacco, also. In VA the State owns all liquor stores! Only beer & wine can be sold in grocery.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
State owns liquor stres here too! We have no sales tax in NH, which means we have crazy high property tax. I would rather have sales tax to take some of the burden off because 1, we don't shop much. And 2, we have a lot of tourists not helping the cause! Plus VT and MA residents come over and take over!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh wow - that's a little crazy! We have sales tax, but no state income tax. I'm ok with it!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow! I bet most people with a large bill don't even really look! Just think how much these people would save if they buy 1 case a week, and gave it up...