Crazy Turkeys

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've got a group of wild turkeys who like to sun bath in the corner of my back yard. It's kind of relaxing watching them. I know when their out there because my bourbon red turkeys and this group of wild turkeys talk to each other.
IMG_20190912_151509.jpg

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I used to have a group of wild turkeys that would play peek-a-boo with my chickens. They would go around the garden fence, and each group would peer around the corner to see what the other group was doing. This was before I got my dog! Now, turkeys only skirt around the edges of my yard.

I welcome turkeys b/c they carry a less lethal strain of marek's dz. which acts as a natural innoculant for chickens.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've enjoyed our turkeys.... except for one of the Toms this year. He apparently doesn't like me, specifically. He's fine with DH and DS, but he tries to attack me every chance he gets. We finally had to confine him to the small enclosed yard attached to the coop-- we can leave the gate open just enough to allow the hen and the chickens to get through, but he's too fat. So at least I can come and go in the yard without worries.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've enjoyed our turkeys.... except for one of the Toms this year. He apparently doesn't like me, specifically. He's fine with DH and DS, but he tries to attack me every chance he gets. We finally had to confine him to the small enclosed yard attached to the coop-- we can leave the gate open just enough to allow the hen and the chickens to get through, but he's too fat. So at least I can come and go in the yard without worries.

Mean turkey tom makes for a great roasted & stuffed dinner or 4.