Crealbilly Wood Working thread

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I built this little walnut rocker for my grandson for my grandson about 8 years ago. He really enjoyed it until he grew out of it. It's still in our living room and all of my grandkids have used it until they grow out of it.
5632.jpg

5630.jpg

5631.jpg

It's also built with mortise and tendon joinery but is epoxied. Just about every cut is a angle and honestly doing the math for all those angles about drove me batty...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My wife kept complaining about her cheap plastic rolling pin and measuring cups. She makes the best biscuits I've ever tasted. Light and fluffy and just right for a little bit of local honey and butter. So I built her a biscuit machine.

She has a "thing" for pine wood so the shelf and rolling pin holder is made out of quartersawn southern yellow pine "her favorite". The pin, handles and and measuring cups are made from solid hard maple and are quite heavy.

The hardest part of this whole project was carving out the inside of the measuring cup to hold exact measures.

As you can see I don't paint very well but I did my best with the red and white country theme which is also her favorite.

This picture was before we remodeled the kitchen. I'll see if I can find some pictures of the matching kitchen I made for her :)
3706.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ok last one for the night... Another Christmas Present for the second oldest son. If you don't know what a mash paddle is ... well I'm not gonna explain it -:lol But instead of just one - I made a set of three. BTW these are also great for making a big ole witches pot of Brunswick Stew too.

All three were made out of one board of sycamore which is a "food safe" wood.
3556 (1).jpg

My second oldest son goofing around with a small batch of beer. All my kids are clowns - I wonder where they get that from? Must be from my wife. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
3568 (1).jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When I first got married back in 85, my wife brought me a top of the line & very expensive set of wood carving chisels.

Being newly weds we needed a coffee table. I orginially envisioned a ball and claw oval table but as I was building it, it turned into something completely different. We still have this table in our living room today. After all these years it's still solid as the day I completed it but could use a re-finishing.

This table has so many memories there is no way we could ever part with it. The carvings are far from perfect but that's what makes it unique. It's made out of pecan (hickory) which is very difficult to carve. The top is book matched flat sawn pecan, separated by pieces of pecan burl.

3707.jpg

3708.jpg

3709.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Speaking of tables... My wife came home with one of those big cracker barrel checker sets. She knows how much I like to play checkers. So I built this table out of black locust, i cut with my sawmill to go with the rocking chairs I also built for the front porch several years earlier. The window frame and real working shutters I also built and the porch that the table sits on -: lol but my wife made the most important part... The cushions, so folks are comfortable playing checkers.

3566.jpg

Of course all tables need a Eastern Red Cedar Drawer to keep the bugs out of the drawers.
3564.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When one of my kids gets married, i build them a very simple table set as a wedding gift. They are quick knock down style for easy moving. Second oldest daughter wanted black. This set is quarter sawn red oak with a black satin finish.

24x36
3579 (1).jpg

24x28
3577.jpg

24x28
3578.jpg

Youngest daughter wanted Cherry
FullSizeR_2.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My wife and I built this 100% eastern red cedar pool deck. I bought a tractor trailer load of nice eastern red cedar logs that here destined for the wood chipper to be made into hamster bedding. I sawed it all out on my sawmill and planed and routed all the boards. We dug holes 3' deep and set the posts with cement. We also bent the inner banding around the pool and set the joists to the square out the banding. I don't recall how big the deck is but the.pool it'self is 30 feet diameter.

If I had bought all this cedar at the.lumberyard I would have had to take out a loan. Eastern red cedar lumber is expensive... I saved a ton of money sawing my own from logs. Stained with Benjamin Moore cedar stain. No nail gun used here - it's all beat together with galvanized screw shank nails and galvanized construction screws.
4999.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Youngest son wanted a captains bed. He had dreams of being a boat captain. So I discussed the design with him and came up with this.

If you notice all the drawers in this bed is crazy and it weighs over 300 lbs empty and that's no joke. It has thick rubber suction cup feet on all four corners and honestly I don't think it would move in the roughest of seas. You'll notice how thick all the red oak wood is the headboard sides are 3 3/4" thick by 10" wide and that's some heavy stuff right there. It's assembled with 1/2 x 6" hardened steel lag bolts that I actually had to use my impact wrench to first drive them in. All is wood glued together with water proof polyurethane wood glue and finished in marine polyurethane also. This is one heavy duty solid bed. You would not want to fall and bump you head on this bed, it won't move...

uploadfromtaptalk1443552966671.jpeg

uploadfromtaptalk1443552950207.jpeg

uploadfromtaptalk1443552985092.jpeg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I needed something to store egg cartons in the chicken house. What's better than eastern red cedar for keeping the bugs away? So I built this little cedar cabinet to store egg cartons in and have a dorm room refrigerator set on top to store full egg cartons in. It had been a while since i did any large sized book matched panels so I decided to have a little fun building it with book matched panels - why not... right?

I left it unfinished to further deter bugs
uploadfromtaptalk1440888975549.jpeg

uploadfromtaptalk1440889006437.jpeg

uploadfromtaptalk1440889083280.jpeg