Crealbilly Wood Working thread

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Some wood working stuff i've made over the years. My family always teases me anytime we do something together "wood is involved" Truth is I thank most any problem can be fixed with a little wood. Ok that didn't come out right... But you know what I meant - get your mind out of the gutter now -:)

Offering box for a Church I visited that didn't have one. It's made out of quartsawn red oak. The cross and offering slot is bound in guitar ABS binding. The cross background and inside is lined with red felt.

That little voice inside me said I should build the Church this offering box. So that's what I did... it was definitely a "inspired" project :)

8102.jpg

I tried to position the quartsawn ray fleck to give the impression that lightening was coming from the cross. It seemed to work pretty well.
8101.jpg

8100.jpg

Anyways it made with glued mortise and tendon joinery. It's very strong and should last a lifetime.

Attachments

• 8101.jpg
    8101.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Built this convertable raise panel walnut & hard maple crib for one on my granddaughters "June Bug" that little girl has her Paw Paw wrapped around her little finger... Even before she was born she had me wrapped around her little finger!!!

The crib is a crib and toddle bed and a full-sized bed. She's only big enough for the toddle bed right now though.

uploadfromtaptalk1414446189941 (1).jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1414435857752.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1414435830784.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1414435885679.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1415147555932.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1415474854764 (1).jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1441147242442.jpeg

IMG950492.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

This is my favorite current picture of June Bug. Miss Hollywood & her pet chicken :)
IMG_20170728_175332205.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Every Christmas I "try" and make one member of my family a present from the wood shed. About 6 years ago I built this gun display case for my father in law.

One of my friends gave me enough packing material to wrap it up tight. Needless to say his present was the biggest "under" the tree.

I completed it about a week before Christmas and my wife put a big red bow on it. My sons and I then delivered it to my in laws house when they were away and placed it by the tree. The tag on is only said to: Bill From: do not open until Christmas. My mother in law said he was like a little kid all week long trying to figure out "what the heck is it" and "who did it come from"...

My father in law has been diagnosed with dementia a few years ago. He has his good days and bad days. Some days he doesn't even remember me let alone my name. But he remembers me when you ask him who built that gun cabinet?

Needless to say I love my father in law to death and it's so sad for me to watch his dementia progress and not be able to do a thing about it but just keep loving on him. Truth is I'm fighting back tears even as I write this post.

3536.jpg

3530.jpg
3533.jpg
3532.jpg
3534.jpg
3535.jpg

I installed LED lights in the cabinet because we all know heat and live rounds don't mix well. The cabinet it's self is full 1" thick lightening struck red oak. The drawers are 3/4 thick eastern red cedar. The glass is shatter proof also just to keep everyone honest.

I wished I could find the picture of how he has it loaded and decorated. He has it loaded with all of his old antique rifles, shot guns and pistols. He's a big John Wayne fan so he has a lot of John Wayne pictures and stuff in there too.

Attachments

• 3531.jpg
    3531.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 394

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was going to ask you if you did the dental molding yourself - so that answers that question! Awesome truly awesome.

Can't even believe you created measuring cups! That must have been meticulous work - but they re so cool!

Nah not really all that meticulous. I have a mull chain glove that I wear to carve wood - so I don't cut my left hand all up.

However both these were meticulous... Both are made with some beech scraps i found laying around my sawmill. I got really bored last winter, it was too cold to work in the unheated wood shed. So a got out my mull chain glove and pocket knife and spend hours upon hours sitting on the semi heated front porch and made a pile of wood chips. When I was done I felt a little like a mushroom :) I guess I was really longing for spring hu?

I actually won $100.00 first place prize at one of the local folk art festivals with this one.
uploadfromtaptalk1392163412910.jpg

This was the first one I carved I think I worked to hard on it. I shouldn't have went overboard with the grooves on the mushroom tops. It didn't even place at at the folk arts festival. maybe it was the base too? It don't look natural either.
uploadfromtaptalk1392163439675.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
More old pics... My wife has a "thing" for pine so when I remodeled her 12' x 16' kitchen, I built her cabinets out of quartersawn southern yellow pine that I cut on my sawmill and kiln dried, then milled in my wood shop. Yep and trim to match (she love me long time for that!) This was a complete teardown to the studs with new electric, plumbing, windows, sheetrock, paint, etc...

Pics are of the work in progress. Ofcourse my wife wanted the stove in the corner :rolleyes: so I had to get creative with the wall framing, which carried over into the cabinets.

35685.jpeg

35707.jpeg

35696.jpeg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is my wife's first Christmas present from me, when we got married a little over 33 years ago. I made this chair for her at my mentor's wood shop. Gordon Plinky my mentor, was very old, he had to be in his late 80's and the most patient man I ever known.

After I finished it and it dried I put it in her parents garage with a big red bow on it. I drove over to her parents in the middle of the night Christmas morning and brought back to our place, while she was sleeping. This is my wife's favorite rocking chair. She nursed many babies in it.

The glue on one of the butt joints, on the seat broke the other day and she just about cried. No worries Hun, I'll fix it... Oddly enough I'm using the same black pipe pony clamps I used when I built this chair.

Curved and carved back soft maple rocker, with a honey tinted laquer finish.
IMG_20181124_153305486_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The convertible crib/toddler/fullsize bed i made my grand daughter is finally done! It only took 4 years -:lol here's why... :)

First it's a crib with adjustable height mattress and spring.
uploadfromtaptalk1415474854764 (1).jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1441147242442.jpeg

Then it becomes a toddler bed
IMG950492.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

Then finally it becomes a full-size bed
IMG952179.jpg

IMG952183.jpg

Pretty cool, if I do so myself... it's made of hard (sugar) maple and black walnut and build to last several generations (pinned and glued mortis and tendon joinery). My hope is my granddaughter passes it on to her first child whenever he/she is born.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My wife said to me late this morning that my grand daughters wanted a seesaw. I looked out the back window and said, look there's a stump I can lay a bad across. She gave me that roll your eye look. I know this look... it means she wants me to make something in the wood shop. So I told her, yeah got it... I'm off to the lumber yard, I'll be back in a little while.

On my way to the lumber yard, I pictured in my head what kind if seesaw I should make. Then I started thinking about the materials needed and how I would make a quick seesaw for my grand daughters.

I hurried through the lumber yard and bought:
5) 2x4-8, 1) 2x6-8, 1)2 foot of 1" dowel, 1 pound of 3" construction screws and a 10" long 5/8" galvanized bolt, 2 washers and 2 nuts.

After about 2 hours in my wood shop, this is what I came up with. Pretty cool if I do say so myself. My wife and I rode it and its plenty sturdy enough. With no picture or plan, it came out really good. I made the height adjustable, its on number 2 of 4.
IMG_20190505_181818571.jpg

My wife is happy and i'm sure my grand daughter will like it too. My wife said she wants to paint it with the grand daughters red, white and blue. So it's dry fitted together right now for easy disassembly. After my wife and grand daughters paint it, I'll put it back together with glue and the same screws.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It’s fun to be YOUR grandkid! Nice job, that is awesome.

Haha. My grand daughters have been on the seesaw for over well over 1/2 hour now, they can really get it moving fast. I was informed "Paw Paw This is the bestest seesaw ever". My oldest Grand daughter was amazed her little sister can make her go "so high in the air, like a frog" Kids are just to cool. This simple project has brought a big smile to my face, it was most definitely worth it.

Little pony tail action :)
IMG_20190506_182155919.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Making flat ones out of big round ones, with my sawmill.

But my supervisor was very demanding... She even inspected my sawdust to make sure it was compatible with her curls. Mom & dad are going to have fun washing out all that sticky maple sawdust out of her hair. I love being pawpaw :lol:
5059.jpeg