Cream Seperators

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I searched through some old threads on this topic and most were at least a year old. Although there was a recent one. I did learn that I need one that is specifically for goats or has a goat setting. But I was just wondering if anyone here actually has one (for goats)? Or knew of a good brand or place to buy them? I'm hoping to not have to spend $500 and some dollars :/

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have NO idea, but would like to find one at a reasonable price as well.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I usually have two or three days worth of milk in the fridge, ( so today, I used the milk from three days ago). By that time, ther is quite a bit of cream that has floated to the top and I just skim it off and put it in the freezer until I have enough to use for something. i have manycontainers in the fridge, and so far I have only made whipped cream. Butter is next.
The longer you let it sit in the fridge, the more cream that will float to the top.

Are you not getting any cream?

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
I usually have two or three days worth of milk in the fridge, ( so today, I used the milk from three days ago). By that time, ther is quite a bit of cream that has floated to the top and I just skim it off and put it in the freezer until I have enough to use for something. i have manycontainers in the fridge, and so far I have only made whipped cream. Butter is next.
The longer you let it sit in the fridge, the more cream that will float to the top.

Are you not getting any cream?
Yea, that's what we're doing but it just takes a very long time to collect enough. I've talked to a few people with cream seperators and they really liked theirs. It's kind of a splurge item for us but I think it will just make the job a little easier. I told DH that I wanted him to buy me one as my bday gift this year. :) But for that much $$ it might be my bday gift for the next several years! :rolleyes:

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hey baby!

i was gonna say... i never get enough goat-cream to make it worth it for me. i'd love to have a separator.. but i've only ever seen them as very expensive. some of the Herds people say they have not been able to get them cheap. so if you find some let us know

:)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
When I saw how much those separators were, it made me want to say, "how much is a cow in comparison?" I'm sure a cow is much more but I think I'd get one before I'd get a cream separator. I can buy a whole lot of butter for the price of one of those. Probably a lifetime of butter. I mean, usually a little dab will do ya......

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know SD. That's kinda our dilema too. We're trying to justify the price, b/c I don't want to get one and then find that for some reason its still not producing enough to make it worth it and then we have lots of skim milk left over and just dropped a pretty penny.

But we just don't have the $$ or the setup for a cow right now. And then to feed them all winter :ep From what I hear that's a lot o hay!

And we're kind of "food snobs". :lol: I try to always buy the real butter. Which makes it a little more $$ unfortunately. And I'm a sucker for the organic tags. I know it's not as good as its marketed but my thought is that it still has to be a little better...idk tho. But we might recoup the cost relatively quickly just b/c of the price we pay for things like that. :hu ...this is the conversation I have been having in my head the last few months...:lol:

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I've always been a butter snob, my mom used that icky margarine crap my whole childhood, and as soon as I set up my own apartment, I began using REAL butter and never stopped. I don't even cook with margarine or buy it on sale....zip, zilch, nada.

But we buy butter in bulk when we find a sale, it keeps really well. You can freeze it too. And we seriously don't use that much, even in our family of four. A stick a week? Some times of year I do some baking and we use more then, but maybe an extra pound a month? I'm all for being self sufficient, but I think if TSHTF and I had no access to real butter anymore, I could make do with what I could skim off the goat milk and call it a day, especially when my sons finish growing up and no longer live at home.

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I originally wanted goats because of the smaller size and they eat less... but without being able to collect a good bit of cream for butter and whipped cream... I think I'm just going to have to settle for a cow... (that is some day when we get a fence and barn...) I searched and searched for a good cream separator at a reasonable price and couldn't come up with anything... so if you find one I would love to know!

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
I've always been a butter snob, my mom used that icky margarine crap my whole childhood, and as soon as I set up my own apartment, I began using REAL butter and never stopped. I don't even cook with margarine or buy it on sale....zip, zilch, nada.

But we buy butter in bulk when we find a sale, it keeps really well. You can freeze it too. And we seriously don't use that much, even in our family of four. A stick a week? Some times of year I do some baking and we use more then, but maybe an extra pound a month? I'm all for being self sufficient, but I think if TSHTF and I had no access to real butter anymore, I could make do with what I could skim off the goat milk and call it a day, especially when my sons finish growing up and no longer live at home.
Yay for real butter! :lol:

We're trying to work out our freezer space so hopefully we can start doing the same thing and buy oodles when its on sale.

Hmmm...so I think the consenus is that if I can find a cheaper and well working seperator I should buy in bulk and then send them all out to you guys?? :lol: