Cream Seperators

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When we are low on butter, I save it for cooking and we just use farmers cheese on our toast. It tastes good, especially with jelly, and it's so easy to make.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
*happily joins ranks of butter snobs*

whoot! there are some restaurants that serve that country crock stuff - ick! cant even believe it.. and i CAN believe thats not butter *barfs*

but we go thru a ton of butter here - even with all this lard i use in baking. zoikes!

i need a cow for sure.

:)

Britesea - i had chevre/farmers cheese on my toast this mornin' - with jelly! yay!
;-)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
*makes note to make farmer cheese/jelly toast tomorrow for breakfast.....grins......*

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I sometimes use yogurt cheese mixed with berries and honey... yummmmmm

but nothing can replace my butter... we go through a pound or 2 per week!

As for buying the separators in bulk... I think you could make a killing reselling them to all us... that is if you find an awesome deal... LOL

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
*happily joins ranks of butter snobs*

whoot! there are some restaurants that serve that country crock stuff - ick! cant even believe it.. and i CAN believe thats not butter *barfs*
but we go thru a ton of butter here - even with all this lard i use in baking. zoikes!

i need a cow for sure.

:)

Britesea - i had chevre/farmers cheese on my toast this mornin' - with jelly! yay!
;-)
:thumbsup

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
And is there a thread somewhere explaining what farmers cheese is? I'm new to this whole what cheese is soppused to taste like thing (i.e. NOT orange, rubbery and wrapped in plastic) :sick

Living the Simple Life

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Total butter snob here!

ohiofarmgirl said:

;-)
I call it "I can't believe anyone would think this cr*p was butter".....and the commercials are SOOOO totally annoying ~ especially the weird dancing in the freezer section one.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
My mom still serves it. I had breakfast at her house and almost gagged when I tasted the toast. She has always chosen it because she thought it was fewer calories. :he

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Kala said:
And is there a thread somewhere explaining what farmers cheese is? I'm new to this whole what cheese is soppused to taste like thing (i.e. NOT orange, rubbery and wrapped in plastic) :sick
Hi Kala, Farmers cheese is a soft, spreadable cheese which originated in France and is eaten fresh. It has a texture similar to ricotta, and can be eaten on crackers straight or mixed with seasonings, used in cheese cake, folded into omelets, etc.. It's probably the easiest cheese to make- I have two different recipes: one uses rennet and one uses vinegar to precipitate the milk solids. I've had more consistent results with the rennet, but I think some people don't like using it...

Farmers Cheese I
2 quarts whole milk
2 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 1/2 tsp salt
cheesecloth, rinsed
Preparation:
In a heavy-bottomed pot, over low heat, slowly heat the milk up, stirring often, until it is just about to simmer (about 180 degrees F). Stir in the buttermilk, and then the vinegar, and turn off the heat. Very slowly stir until you see the milk separating into curds (the solids) and whey (the liquid). Leave undisturbed for 10 minutes.

Line a large strainer with 2 layers of cheesecloth, and place over a stockpot to catch the whey. After the 10 minutes, ladle the curds into the cheesecloth, and allow the whey to drain for 10 minutes. Gather up the edges of the cheesecloth, and tie a string around the top to form bundle. Tie the string to a wooden spoon or dowel, and hang the cheese curds over the stockpot and continue draining for 30 minutes.

After draining, remove the cheese from the cloth, and transfer into a container. Stir in the salt and refrigerate. This fresh cheese can be used for up to 5 days. Use as a spread, or as you would use cream cheese, or cottage cheese.

Farmers Cheese II
1 gallon milk
1/4 cup culture buttermilk
1/4th tablet Junket Rennet tablet

1. Pour milk into the pre-sterilized 5 quart stainless steel pot. Warm to 65 F with stirring.
2. Meanwhile, dissolve 1/4 tablet rennet in 1/4 cup water.
3. When the milk reaches 65 F, remove from heat, add buttermilk, whisk to mix thoroughly.
4. Stir the dissolved rennet into the 65 F inoculated milk, blend thoroughly.
5. Cover and let sit overnight undisturbed at room temperature (65-70F, 20C).
6. The next morning, a clean break should have formed. If the coagulated milk is not firm enough, let it sit until is does, as long as another 12 hours.
7. When a clean break is achieved, cut the curd into 1/2 inch cubes.
8. Ladle the curds and whey into a clean sterile handkerchief supported in a large strainer, placed over a one gallon bowl. Allow the whey to drain through.
If the cloth becomes clogged, lift the cloth back and forth or scrape the curd away from the cloth.
Save the whey!
9. When most of the whey has drained through, pick up the four corners of the cloth and suspend the curd in a cool place to drain overnight.
10. The next day, remove the cheese and mix in1- 3 teaspoons of salt, according to taste (or you can add vanilla and sweeten it for a lovely dessert with fruit). It may be eaten immediately. Store covered in the refrigerator until use.