Cream-top, unhomogenized milk

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Kim_NC said:
You can shake it up and pour to use as whole milk. Or you can separate the cream from the top by pouring it off. Then use it as cream and low fat milk. I use a fat separator like this one:

http://www.fantes.com/images/22661-1gravy_fat.jpg

They're made for separating fat from stock for gravy and sauces, but it works great for milk too. There are other styles on the market - smaller, plastic, etc.

Once you have the cream separated you could make fresh whipped cream, use it in any sauce, baking, or other recipe that calls for cream....use it in your coffee. Use the milk as you would any other.

Butter is made from cream of course, but the cream from a half gallon wouldn't be much.

The cream will separate and float to the top each time the carton sits for awhile. Always shake before using unless you want just cream from the top.
So, how do I use the fat separator to get the cream separated? Do I pour the milk in and leave it set in the fridge for an hour? or what?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yes, let it sit undisturbed until you can clearly see the cream line. Not sure if that will happen in an hour, can't remember how long it took when our family had a cow when I was a kid.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Is unprocessed milk reported to be better for people with lactose intolerance?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Many people can drink raw milk who cannot tolerate even the smallest amount of processed milk. I am one of them. I can drink lots of raw goat's milk but not so much as a teaspoon of store bought milk. I haven't been able to try raw cow's milk because I cannot find a dairy near me with raw milk where the cows go out on pasture (important to me, especially since I have a choice.)