Cream-top, unhomogenized milk

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
mrs.puff said:
I was just mentioning the other day that my DH, who has some respiratory troubles after drinking milk, has less trouble with un-homogenized milk. Depending on where you are located, you may be able to find milk cheaper than at Trader Joe's, which is catering to a "high end" crowd. I don't know how much you paid, but the half gallon of organic non-homogenized whole milk I just bought at Hy-vee (their store brand) was something like $4.88. We don't drink milk at my place though, just use it for cooking, yogurt, the occassional bowl of cereal.

Try looking at a regular grocery store. You'd be surprized (but avoid the Ultra-Pasteurized milks. )
Wow. THat's expensive. Trader Joes is cheap vs Whole Foods or even Safeway. The milk was 3.49. The regular homogenized whole milk gallon is 2.99 at TJs. I go to TJs because of their prices - cheaper for decent stuff than almost anywhere. Safeway is 3.19 for homogenized whole milk. I buy a lot of stuff there, but I look at prices first.

I'll try drinking it - or using some in my cereal. I'm another one who stopped drinking regular milk because of respiratory problems. Maybe this will be better.

And I'll definitely try making yogurt with it. That might be the best use of it.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
My raw milk is about 8/gallon :)

It's worth it though.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
abifae said:

It's worth it though.
Because why? Oh, never mind, that's the raw itmilk. I was just getting the unhomogenized stuff.

Anyways - I'll try a bit tomorrow in my cereal and see how I do.

Should I make yogurt with some? Is it better yogurt with unhomogenized milk?

What other things are *better* with this kind of milk?

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We buy whole raw milk for $3.00/gallon! Commercial whole milk varies from $2.78 - $3.19 around here. So, we feel very blessed to have found the small diary we're buying from. We have to take our own containers and fill self-serve, but it's great.

I make yogurt from just the milk portion, after separating the cream. We prefer to use the cream for other things and to have our yogurt in the lower fat version.

We also strain our homemade yogurt for a version of "sour cream". We use it on potatoes, in dips, recipes, etc.

Do you like smoothies? could try that.

This recipe uses pudding mix and gelatin. If you don't mind those, it takes 1 cup of milk and is right on time for Valentine's Day.

Valentine Cutouts

recipegeletinhearts.jpg

edit: typo

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Yes. Part of that price is they drive the milk out to the Farmer's Market.

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That's really nice, Ab.

Here in NC, raw milk can only be sold as "pet milk". Farmers are not allowed to sell it at markets, and not allowed to advertise it for sale.

ETA: I guess we should consider ourselves lucky though - in some states raw milk is not permitted for sale to the public at all.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
No raw milk available here in Iowa :( Wow! Trader Joe's does sound cheaper, but the trouble for me is that Trader Joe's is about 90 miles away. One way. So I would spend about $20 on gas just to get there. Can anybody tell me if their milk is Ultra-pasteurized like all the other ones?

We only have three places to get groceries: Walmart, HyVee, and Fareway. Fareway carries almost nothing organic. Hyvee carries a lot, but is pretty expensive on some stuff.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
We have to own the cow to drink it's milk.

LOL

So I own part of a cow :D

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:
abifae said:

It's worth it though.
Because why? Oh, never mind, that's the raw itmilk. I was just getting the unhomogenized stuff.

Anyways - I'll try a bit tomorrow in my cereal and see how I do.

Should I make yogurt with some? Is it better yogurt with unhomogenized milk?

What other things are *better* with this kind of milk?
Raw milk in CA is running $20 a gallon.
The cost is not because its raw, but because the farmer is actually going to make a profit by selling direct.
When you see processed milk in the store costing under $3, know that the farmer only sees a few pennies of that $3 :(

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
mrs.puff said:
No raw milk available here in Iowa :( Wow! Trader Joe's does sound cheaper, but the trouble for me is that Trader Joe's is about 90 miles away. One way. So I would spend about $20 on gas just to get there. Can anybody tell me if their milk is Ultra-pasteurized like all the other ones?

We only have three places to get groceries: Walmart, HyVee, and Fareway. Fareway carries almost nothing organic. Hyvee carries a lot, but is pretty expensive on some stuff.
There are several farms that sell it in Iowa.
Best way to find it in your area, is to take a Sunday drive, and stop at little dairies that you find, and just ask.
Chances are good that you will find at least one farmer.

You are not going to see it advertised. It tends to be a quiet secret in most states, even the ones where its legal.