CreativeTwinsZoo's journal of self sufficancy

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ooh! Homemade summer sausage?,? That sounds awesome!

I was thinking of some canned stuff like jelly, dilly beans, cowboy candy or onion relsih. Maby some homedone candles and lipgloss's and some small sewn/crocheted items or candies, not entirely sure what all yet as there's 2 other people joining in on the basket adventure (its the first time I've done this in any way :/ )

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One year, I made homemade bath bombs, sugar scrub, and crocheted batch scrubbies, and tucked them into some baskets that I made from kits. That went over very well too. Other ideas over the years have been selections of liqueurs (crabapple, coffee, and herbal), or matching homemade sets of embroidered kitchen towels, potholders and market bags... there's so many things you can do. I think the main thing that makes them so nice is that people know you went out of your way to make them yourself instead of just throwing money at a catalog or something.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's what I like about homemade stuff :) <3 someone took time out of their day, not just a few minutes but sometimes hours or day or weeks even to make it! :D

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I give a loaf of chocolate chip banana bread to both my farrier and my equine dentist. They love it.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The last two weeks have been up and down to near the major extremes on more than just weather :confused:

Grandpa dearest passed just before thanksgiving. For which I've had horribly mixed feelings :'( glad he's not suffering from pain and missing grandma and others... just sad he's on the other side of the door now. I know we'll meet again someday though so I'll have to make the best I can and get up and greet the day squirrel!:love

I did finish canning onion relish and with a great many tears dehydrated several onions (I had no idea their so tasty like that!) And made ginger simple syrup and ginger candy.

Thanksgiving we had a nice small meal of ham (glazed with sweet pepper jelly, honey and oranges) homemade mashed potatoes (and of course ham gravy!) Some home canned cranberry jelly, marinated mushrooms and some cherrys.
Stuffed smoked mushrooms, peppers and a smoked pork butt (courtesy of mom and dad :) )

We also discovered today during clean up on of our little girl rabbits, is in fact a boy! :barnie so now we're back to our previous settlement. Too many male rabbits, not enough female rabbits :/

Hope everyone else has had a smooth holiday season!

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Today our rabbit potroast had babies!! :D this is our first actually born set of fluffles!!

Super excited about it :) we believe there is 6 babies, though there may be one or two more, though the babies are defiantly bigger than either of us expected!

Today also bring about a first try at making apple butter (and in the crockpot). Also apple 'pie' chips and candied orange slices dipped in dark chocolate :)

Not much else to tell about currently :/ things have been weird with our roommate (if anyone follows myhouseisazoo2 ) since we gave a reminder of leave.

Hoping everyone's having a good time! Despite rain and snow and everyone's doing well in health :)

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lol a lot has happened since I last was on!

potroast ended up having two litters, before passing away for unknown reasons (I suspect twisted gut, or possible heat stroke) baby batch #1 is ready for processing on Tuesday night and baby batch two (3 survivors past birth, potroast had em on the wires) are going to have to grow out still :). One of our previous males we ended up processing for a mother's day gift (as well as our male duck, he got overly aggressive with all ducks and chickens)

We currently have no more chickens or ducks to much sadness :'( the next door neigbhours (rental home) has a big husky that dug up under the fence into our coop and killed all but four of the birds (the survivors we sent away to live on a family-friends farm). We won't be getting anymore until we have the fence changed from wood to brick period. It was not a fun thing to come home to nor for sis to wake up to :'(

No other animal things that I can think of... oh! Myhouseisazoo2 is looking into a career change :D all goes well we'll be able to have the house paid off a lot sooner than expected and be able to start saving up for a bit of property somewhere to start a homestead!!! :D

Other than that learning new skills and such slowly :)

How's everyone been doing?.? Hope everyone's been good!