CreativeTwinsZoo's journal of self sufficancy

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds like your friends were on the Carnivore diet, rather than Keto. When I read about the Carnivore diet, I couldn't help thinking "Look at your teeth! You were made to be an Omnivore!" Vitamin C is one vital vitamin that humans cannot synthesize, and I don't recall reading that meat has any. Even the Inuit, which came closest to carnivore that I ever read about, relished the vegetable contents of the seals they killed.

But I have also read stuff online written by people that claim to eat nothing but meat and say they feel great...

Fat is also really important. I remember reading an interview with a participant of one of those "survival" shows where she was on a tropical island. There was plenty to eat: lots of fish in the sea, lots of tropical fruits and stuff. But she lost weight and said she spent the entire time there feeling constantly hungry because there were almost no fat sources.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Actually, the diet that they were supposed to be doing called for a good amount of vegetables, but the husband doesn't like veggies so he removed them from the diet list so she wouldn't make him eat them ... o_O

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've never understood people that didn't like vegetables. There are very few of them that I have not cared for, and most of the time it turned out that I just didn't care for them prepared that way, and I suspect that might be the case for people that claim to not like veggies.

Reminds me of the story about a woman whose mother would take a pound of ground beef and brown it, then open and drain a can of "chop suey" vegetables and throw it in, warm it all together and called it chinese food. All through her 20's, when friends would make suggestions about where to go out for dinner, she would say "No, I don't care for chinese food". Well, one day, she got outvoted, and they went to a nice chinese restaurant. Bravely, because she had been taught to be polite about it, she took a bite. And another. And another.

"THIS IS CHINESE FOOD???" She realized all those years she'd been missing out on what has since become her favorite food, simply because she had not like it the way her mother prepared it, lol.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ate a lot of "chop suey" like that. Couldn't wait until I was on my own to go to a chinese restaurant and try real chinese food. I had chinese leftovers for lunch.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm most happy with a meal when the plate is heaped up high with veggies. Love my cheese. Meats... not so much. I prefer that meat be treated as a condiment. Just a little, thank you!!! Gotta have my cheese. If I want to loose weight, all I have to do is ADD! If I add an extra serving of fruits/veggies/day, and eliminate empty cal drinks, I can plan to loose about a #/week.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The guy who omitted the vegetables has me thinking of a Guy my mom worked with went keto (incidentally keto suddenly became a "real" diet/woe) he lasted all of one month.... mostly cause he abandoned all veggies because they were bad now and drank bulletproof Coffee like he shouldve been drinking water :smack and then wondered how we were surviving while he felt like garbageo_O

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband and I went on a loose keto diet in January. We don't strictly adhere to it, so not in ketosis, but by cutting carbs, I lost 20 pounds, him about the same. I bought a couple of keto cookbooks. Imitation bread is still imitation bread. :sick Imitation sugar is still imitation sugar. :sick

The fathead pizza is good. I made imitation hamburger buns from almond flour and had friends over. She hadn't had a bun for her hamburger for 2 years! She was very happy, I gave her the recipe and now she sends me pictures of the buns she is making. LOL

Nothing takes the place of chicken fried steak. All the imitation coatings just don't cut it. Some things just can't be duplicated-so we cut down on how often and how much.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
IImitation bread is still imitation bread. :sick Imitation sugar is still imitation sugar. :sick
Nothing takes the place of chicken fried steak. All the imitation coatings just don't cut it. Some things just can't be duplicated-so we cut down on how often and how much.
Imitation bread just isn't the same :( we chose to make bread at home if we really wanted it, rather than buy it at the store. Found out quite surprisingly that the household has digestive issues with store bought, but not homemade!
Imitation sugar is... kinda an eh topic here, I like stevia cause less is used but it does take some taste change
We did similar and still do for some things, pork rind crumbs are a decent replacement but they definatly don't make up a good tempura batter! :(

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I tell people that ask about keto, that the best way to stick to any diet is to to try to find acceptable analogs for the foods you aren't supposed to have. I tend to not care much for the keto breads, but I like the low carb tortilla wraps I can get in the store, and I like biscuits made with Bob's Red Mill Low Carb Baking Mix. Occasionally my husband tries to make bread using Carbalose flour, but so far a really good loaf has escaped him. Luckily, for me Monkfruit produces a sweet taste that I like. Swerve is ok in some baked goods.

If you like the fathead pizza, there are several other fathead recipes out there... I use it to make "bagel dogs" which taste pretty good, and I made some soft pretzels once that were good too.

Latest posts