CreativeTwinsZoo's journal of self sufficancy

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
what's wrong with the brussels sprouts? I don't plant them because they seem to act as a trap crop for the aphids, lol

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love brussels sprouts - just can't grow the darn things. You'd think that if cabbage and other brassicas grow well - that they would too. But nope.... :(

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Looking good! I'm still in the "dreaming" of the spring garden stage... I do have a couple things in my raised beds. Broccoli and cabbages are doing well...brussels sprouts are reminding me why I never plant them, carrots are progressing and I've got some new radishes that sprouted.
Thank you, thank you, Dreaming is good, it means plenty of plan out time :)
Cabbages did us a bit of a dud this year, granted I did plant waaaaay later than I expected too. Did michihilli and a plain head cabbage, the michihilli is doing great, but very loose, the plain is large lovely leaves but no heads lol. The Brussels and broccoli was basically a joke this year. But I'll try again next year, it's likely I did something wrong... still learning :) Winter carrots are so tasty! Its waiting for them that is soooooo hard!!!!!

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
what's wrong with the brussels sprouts? I don't plant them because they seem to act as a trap crop for the aphids, lol
Radishes do well as trap crops here, the ones at the school have ended up infested, with both nasty bragada beetles and aphids :/

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love brussels sprouts - just can't grow the darn things. You'd think that if cabbage and other brassicas grow well - that they would too. But nope.... :(

i wonder if it is just too warm down that far for them, but i don't know it as a fact.

as far as aphid magnet i've not had that experience here but i did have that experience with a related plant that was supposed to be a cabbage but turned out to be some other brassica. gray aphids all over it, since it wasn't what i expected anyways i ended up pulling the plant and burying it. all the cabbages and brussels sprouts did fine that season.

we have plenty of lady beetles around (a few kinds) so i was surprised to see them get established on this plant at all.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
whenever I have a sudden heavy infestation of aphids, it usually means the ladybugs are in the middle of their reproduction cycle. If the plant can manage to limp along for a couple of weeks, the nymphs come out in force and wipe them out in just a few days. It's hard to wait though.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When I have aphids, I blast them with the hose. Usually, that clears the issue right up. They are a nuisance on one of my apple trees, and stunt the leaves if I don't get the hose out right away.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Have you had any issues with the more 'delicate' plants doing that? Or has it been minimal damage?
When I have aphids, I blast them with the hose. Usually, that clears the issue right up. They are a nuisance on one of my apple trees, and stunt the leaves if I don't get the hose out right away.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I generally don't have aphid issues on the delicate plants. I would adjust the spray according to the plant tissue involved. Really, all you need to do is knock them off. If it's a susceptible plant, go back every couple days to get any youngsters.

If it was a plant that absolutely couldn't stand up to a hose, (like lettuce) I'd mix up some soapy water and spritz it with a spray bottle, then rinse well after a few minutes.