CrimsonRose's Cataloged Catastrophes! Electric went out Bator got cold

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If you want to do a cheap fence w/out electric, use some cattle panels. They sell for about $20.00 per 16 ft panel in TSC. I use them for my goats, and they don't get out. Just make sure that the welded part is on the inside so if they do rub against them, their not pushing the fencing apart.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
What about woven wire fencing?
You need a board preferably at both the top and the bottom to keep it from getting all bent up.

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hugs! thx for the suggestion about the cattle panels... I'll try to look into those... so you have to put a board along the top and bottom to help reinforce them then? With those do you have problems with predators?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
If you want to do a cheap fence w/out electric, use some cattle panels. They sell for about $20.00 per 16 ft panel in TSC. I use them for my goats, and they don't get out. Just make sure that the welded part is on the inside so if they do rub against them, their not pushing the fencing apart.
What type of post do yo use with your cattle panels?

g

Denim Deb

Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Denim Deb said:
What type of post do yo use with your cattle panels?

g
While I've seen people use metal posts, I prefer wooden ones. That way, you can use fencing staples to hold them to the post. I've seen people use baling twine, but w/goats.....

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
yesterday my favorite buck was really frightened and his movements were really labored... my first thought is something tried to get into the rabbit pen... we have a horrible time with predators (mainly neighbor's dogs) so we built some really stout cages and I started putting in a nest box in each cage (even the boy's) so if a dog tried to nip at them through the welded wire they would have something to jump into...

This past summer dogs tried to attack this same buck... wounded his feet and scratched them up pretty bad through his wire...

But I checked him over and seen NO signs of injury he hopped to the front of his cage and just laided there so I would pet him... I tried giving him a banana (his fav) to perk him up... I had to hold it in front of his nose to even get him to nibble on it a tad... I came back later in the day and he hadn't touched the rest of it... he was even more lathargic... wouldn't even get up or move really... His eyes were rolling a tad like he didn't have the energy to move them... I sat with him for a while but since he had NO signs of sickness (other than just not eating that day) and no injuries I didn't know what else to do for him... all I can figure is he got spooked and had a heart attack... he was about 3 and a half years old... and he went through a lot (dog attacks last summer... we had a hard time getting his back paws to heal up even after we took him off a wire cage)

I went out this morning and we had lost him... :hit He had the best personality of all my rabbits! I'm going to miss him like crazy! Plus he was my best breeder too... Always did a great job of taking care of the ladies...

Rip big papa
IMG_7096.jpg

IMG_7093.jpg

Anyhow... I was too upset plus it was POURING down the rain this morning so I had to wait till this evening to bury him... Hubby went out to help and heard the extra roosters (I still haven't got up the nerve to process) screaming and carrying on like crazy! So he went over to check them out and in their pen was an opossum :barnie He was a young one too so that means we prob have more around here somewhere... But I'm pretty sure this is what spooked big papa the night before last :hit but at least I can rest a tad easier knowing whatever it was is now dead! We killed the opossum and now I just have to keep an eye out for more :he (as if the raccons dogs and coyotes are not enough)

Well I'm still sad so I'm off to have me a nice big glass of wine...

Denim Deb

Reaction score
CrimsonRose said:
Hugs! thx for the suggestion about the cattle panels... I'll try to look into those... so you have to put a board along the top and bottom to help reinforce them then? With those do you have problems with predators?
Just saw this. I don't use a board for the cattle panels, that's what I'd use if I was using woven fence.

As for predators, we haven't had a problem w/them in this area. However, I recently learned that there are coyotes in the woods near us. I want to take our old dog kennel-it's a 6' high chain link fence-and put that up for the goats instead. Then, I'd put electric around the top on the outside. That way, if anything tries to get in, it'll get zapped.

Latest posts