Crown of Thorns Journal- Wood Cook Stove Challange

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
miss_thenorth said:
How are you guys finding the GAP diet to be expensive? I have just started looking into it--haven't read the book, --just googling for info. And BB, what are your reactions to gluten? I have only been off gluten products for a bit more than a year now. While I have no desire to go back on it rightnow, I do not know whether it is an intolerance (my belief), or whether is is celiac. (I have not been tested).
We live in Alaska :lol:

I have not been tested, but have a family history as well.
My dad has gut reactions, whereas I have neurological reactions.
I spent all my life thinking that being tired was normal. I also had no idea that I had terrible brain fog.
I eventually went gluten free to see if that was part of the reason I miscarry. I turned into a different person within two days, and when I tested by eating some two weeks later, I was in agony for 3 or 4 days. Extreme joint and muscle pain, and an inability to stay awake.
It really was the main reason my endocrine system is so broken.

A few months later, DH and I played scrabble, and we were both shocked that I was able to play without falling asleep, and, I doubled mt normal score.
To bad I was not gluten free while in school. I thought I was just dumb!
Well, since i have been gluten free, it has lead me to finding so much about my health, and things I have endured my whole lifetime. Now, I am still searching for more healing. But giving up gluten was major for me. I have physical symptoms, but have had the brain fog and many other symptoms also.

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
miss_thenorth said:
How are you guys finding the GAP diet to be expensive? I have just started looking into it--haven't read the book, --just googling for info. And BB, what are your reactions to gluten? I have only been off gluten products for a bit more than a year now. While I have no desire to go back on it rightnow, I do not know whether it is an intolerance (my belief), or whether is is celiac. (I have not been tested).

I spent all my life thinking that being tired was normal. I also had no idea that I had terrible brain fog.
I eventually went gluten free to see if that was part of the reason I miscarry. I turned into a different person within two days, and when I tested by eating some two weeks later, I was in agony for 3 or 4 days. Extreme joint and muscle pain, and an inability to stay awake.

A few months later, DH and I played scrabble, and we were both shocked that I was able to play without falling asleep, and, I doubled mt normal score.
Have you had your hormone levels checked? Low progesterone causes many miscarriages. I HIGHLY recommend the book Taking Charge of your Fertility by Toni Weschler. That book is just loaded with information and dispelled a lot of myths I had because we're just not taught very much about our bodies any more!

I'm really hopeful about this month, and the following as they say it can take up to 6 months for chastetree berry to balance your hormones. This is the first full month I have been on chaste tree berry and already I have seen several changes in my cycle that are making me REALLY hopeful that if my problem is just hormonal, that I will be able to get pregnant. I have never had a positive pregnancy test ever. Not only have the hormone imbalance symptoms that I knew about disappeared, but some issues that I didn't know were related have also disappeared.

What you said about the brain fog makes me wonder... taking the chaste tree berry has pretty much eliminated mine, but I did experience some the same night I had bread.... hmm

ETA: I was another that thought I was just dumb in school. I did awful in a school environment but did just fine at home. Getting pretty much straight A's at home, while failing almost everything in a Christian School. Thankfully my teachers saw that I was trying hard so they passed me, but with my scores I should not have passed. Learning about healthy eating made many changes in my life. :D

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
http://biokult.org/biokult/biokult-faq/
8. What are the 14 strains of beneficial bacteria contain in BioKult?

1. Lactobacillus acidophilus
2. Lactobacillus delbrueckii ssp. bulgaricus
3. Lactococcus lactis ssp. lactis
4. Lactobacillus casei
5. Lactobacillus helveticus
6. Lactobacillus plantarum
7. Lactobacillus rhamnosus
8. Lactobacillus salivarius ssp. salivarius
9. Bifidobacterium breve
10. Bifidobacterium bifidum
11 Bifidobacterium infantis
12. Bifidobacterium longum
13. Bacillus subtilis
14. Streptococcus thermophilus

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
CrownofThorns said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
miss_thenorth said:

Have you had your hormone levels checked? Low progesterone causes many miscarriages. I HIGHLY recommend the book Taking Charge of your Fertility by Toni Weschler. That book is just loaded with information and dispelled a lot of myths I had because we're just not taught very much about our bodies any more!

I'm really hopeful about this month, and the following as they say it can take up to 6 months for chastetree berry to balance your hormones. This is the first full month I have been on chaste tree berry and already I have seen several changes in my cycle that are making me REALLY hopeful that if my problem is just hormonal, that I will be able to get pregnant. I have never had a positive pregnancy test ever. Not only have the hormone imbalance symptoms that I knew about disappeared, but some issues that I didn't know were related have also disappeared.

What you said about the brain fog makes me wonder... taking the chaste tree berry has pretty much eliminated mine, but I did experience some the same night I had bread.... hmm

ETA: I was another that thought I was just dumb in school. I did awful in a school environment but did just fine at home. Getting pretty much straight A's at home, while failing almost everything in a Christian School. Thankfully my teachers saw that I was trying hard so they passed me, but with my scores I should not have passed. Learning about healthy eating made many changes in my life. :D
I have adrenal fatigue, and everything that cones with it. I am healing slowly, but it takes years :rolleyes:

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Long time no write! I've been super busy, no time to keep up a journal. :)

Since my husband brought out and set up my woodcook stove for me I decided to challenge myself to see how long I can go without my electric stove. After all once the cabin is built I won't have an electric one to fall back on. So far it's been harder then I thought. I can't just keep a pot or pan in one spot, it has to move around as the heat from the flames vary (something I have to work on!) and I have to remember that every knob and handle needs to be touched only with a hotpad. I have a smarting thumb to remind me now though. :p

So far I have...
Finished making some lard. Started on my electric stove before it was set up, and finished on the wood.
Made pancakes for breakfast.
Quiche is in the oven now. I'm kind of nervous because it's my first time using the oven!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Very cool update on the wood stove. do you have a picture of it? I would love to put one on my patio so I can cook outdoors.

Good luck with the oven.

g

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here it is, and thanks! I would love to have two, one on my porch for summer time. :)

270651_2033948022795_1667030501_1903023_7610334_n.jpg