Currency Issues and Spending

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am stashing dry goods. Food will always have value.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
We have been stocking ammo and food for the past couple of years.
If the currency goes away, ammo will come in VERY handy....

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Psh. It'd be nice if we could just go out into the woods, build a log cabin and live off the land and not worry about currency and all that crap. My life would certainly be less stressful. I would have no problem eating cattails and wild game.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
We aren't going to do anything different as far as cash on hand, investments, banking, buying or selling. We try to watch and keep up with the news. We do realize that there will probably come a time in the near future that life in the US will change radically from what it is now.

To that end, our plan is to be flexible. We will take it as it comes. We've game planned many different scenarios and for us, the largest part is imagining the worst that could happen and figuring out if you could deal with it.

Currency devaluation wars leading to inflation passed on to consumers ~our current game plan and goal is to never buy anything at full retail price right now. We do a lot of bartering, buying thrift/consignment, sales, etc. It is hard to imagine what life would be like if inflation increased to the point that Americans across the board had no buying power. I think we've had a taste of loss of buying power but not like it could be. I guess that so many people would have to adjust at once that we'd all figure something out?

I don't know, what do you all think?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Doing nothing different here. As the dollar becomes mode devalued, the value of tangible items go up, so if I weren't investing in them now, I would definitely start. By tangibles I am referring to ammo, food, precious metals, etc.

We could be in for a "perfect storm" for food prices, ie., a world wide shortage in production coupled with a falling dollar. Add that to a possible escalation in the current US/China trade war and we could see some real increases in the cost of a lot of the goods in the US.

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Doing nothing different here. As the dollar becomes mode devalued, the value of tangible items go up, so if I weren't investing in them now, I would definitely start. By tangibles I am referring to ammo, food, precious metals, etc.

We could be in for a "perfect storm" for food prices, ie., a world wide shortage in production coupled with a falling dollar. Add that to a possible escalation in the current US/China trade war and we could see some real increases in the cost of a lot of the goods in the US.
This is pretty much my belief and approach too. I am trying to straddle worlds hereto prep for a different future and prep for one that basically stays the same. I believe that this whole shebang should have collapsed ten years ago. We have a zombie economy kept alive on faith and fraud. Part of me wishes it would just get on with it and die already!! Then we could start over.

I cannot prep like that Rawles dude, no steel shutters or underground fuel tanks here. How many people can actually do that??

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Storable food; a water source and a way to purify it ("water will be the new oil"); tangibles that can be used for bartering; skills both for yourself & for bartering. Our currency is based on a wish & a prayer as it is. :/

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know alot of people that are gold bugs. I think that is kind of silly if you really think the whole world is going to come crashing down. You can't eat gold, can't even wipe your behaind with it (paper cash will still work for that! LOL!!!)

I am stocking food and things that I think might be hard to get but are storable. My friend in Iceland told me top commodities in the first couple of months after their currency collapsed was booze, feminine hygiene supplies, coffee and cigarettes. In Iceland ammo was never an issue, but I suspect it will be here.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
On Our own said:
I know alot of people that are gold bugs. I think that is kind of silly if you really think the whole world is going to come crashing down. You can't eat gold, can't even wipe your behaind with it (paper cash will still work for that! LOL!!!)
You know, I have to agree with that. If someone came to my door when TSHTF & offered me a bar of gold for a can of soup, I'd give them a "now, what the hell am I supposed to do with THAT?" look... ;)