Dacjohns--Changes

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Daylight Saving Time does not save daylight, it just moves the clock.

DST does not save energy, it encourages us to use more energy.

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he mention in his campaigning several times that he was for developing more nuclear technology?

kaycei

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I feel that the largest contributor to the financial problem is all the people who bought houses on ARMs, and couldn't afford them. Or maybe all the lenders/loan agents that provided those people with the loans.
The next largest contributor is the fact that our entire economy is based off credit, as opposed to cash. And now that the credit lines have closed, that is a major reason all the businesses are hurting so much. And the lack of credit (and increased interest rates) is having a detrimental effect on spending. Then, with all this lack of spending, companies aren't selling, and they are laying people off... and its spinning into a downward cycle.
I don't blame it on Bush, but I don't think the wars he engaged our military in are helping. And I don't blame Obama for making the economy worse right now. I blame that more on the press for sharing every second of Wall Street with us, and investors getting fearful and not investing. If people invest, the stock market will go back up.

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
I have read two books about the dust bowl recently, and as I'm sure we all know that happened during the great depression. The same exact things that happened back in the great depression to cause the economy to collapse, and continue to downward spiral are the same things that are happening now. A long series of bad decisions that happened over a period of 20 years which spans more than one presidency. Spend, spend spend, and credit, credit, credit. The thing that bothers me the most? In both instances, and most notably and obviously, just because it is now in the history books, is how the govt, press, etc tried soooo hard to convince everyone to keep spending, keep buying on credit so that the economy can right itself and all will be right with the world. I believe and maybe mistakenly, that there is such a thing as responsible capitalism, but we didn't practice it at the beginning of the last century and we aren't practicing it now.

clstratton

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I sit corrected. I do agree, Kaycei, that it is because of the ARMs and all that mess. I boggles my mind that there is still so much building going on here in my town. At least it isn't nearly as bad here as other places.

As for Obama and nuclear energy, I thought he was all for it. That's why I voted for the guy. My state went to McCain, so my vote didn't really matter, but still...it irks me. I guess he did promise Nevada that he would close Yucca Mountain, so he closed it. At least he is making good on campaign promises. Yucca Mountain is just a storage facility for spent fuel. A lot of the development happens at the National Labs. We have a National Lab close to here, that's where DH works, but we are supposed to get rid of our spent fuel by 2035. DH wishes they would dig a big pit in our backyard and pay us hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to store it for them. Apparently all the safety protocols on this stuff means that having it in my backyard is no big deal. I'm still a little apprehensive about having radioactive uranium (or whatever else it might be) in my backyard, but DH knows what he's talking about, so I don't worry about it.

As for buying on credit, I'm glad we don't have any credit card debt. We do use the cards, but we also get points and money back and all that good stuff. We are all for "free" money. It's too bad somebody else is having to pay for it, since we pay our card off every month and have no interest.

dacjohns

Reaction score
This is not in response to the above thread. There have been a few days between it and this post.

I am a little saddened by the turn this forum seems to be taking. We started out as how to make do with less, home production and storage, and closely related subjects.

We seem to be heading towards a survivalist mentality in addition to rabid political posts.

How I long for the olden days.

dacjohns

Reaction score
Had a pair of wood ducks in the pond this evening. Then they flew off :(.

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
This is not in response to the above thread. There have been a few days between it and this post.

I am a little saddened by the turn this forum seems to be taking. We started out as how to make do with less, home production and storage, and closely related subjects.

We seem to be heading towards a survivalist mentality in addition to rabid political posts.

How I long for the olden days.
Ditto :(

Wood ducks are preeeeetty. Maybe they'll come back :D