Dairy Farming

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I read and had to chuckle. I'm still put off by the raw milk issues in most states. Understand the concerns with sanitary handling -- I practice well and drink that milk every day! I am interested in being healthy, not sick, so handling is clean. It is not unusual for me to drink a quart a day. It is so good & quite satisfying!!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I wish I could get raw milk here. I ever get my own land, I plan on having some dairy goats. A cow would be just too much milk for me, plus would need more room.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
When I was in my teens I had a weekend job on a dairy farm, who's owners also had a little shop in town where they sold the raw milk. All legal and above board, it being lawless South Africa ;) I drank gallons of the milk on the farm as well as at home. Wonderful wonderful stuff! The only complaint I ever heard was one lady who found her milk went off quickly after buying it. We later found that she left it in her car too long between purchasing it and going home to put it in the fridge. As it was summer, it got too hot in the car for the milk to stay o.k.

SustainableAg

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I also find the raw milk laws troubling. Here in PA we can buy raw milk direct from the farm. The farm also sells it at the local farmers market.
Since I am moving to TN I looked into their laws - raw milk is illegal. Only sold as pet food, or you have to buy a cow share. Such a shame.
I intend to have my own cow when we buy a farm - but that is likely years away.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
VA same as TN. But, while I always wanted a cow, I like the goats! Milk can taste different between breeds. My Saanen gives me over a gal a day of wonderful milk. It won't separate the cream as easily as a cow, for butter. I really like them & it may be something you could consider rather than a cow. Less acreage needed, way less milk to use up (makes good cheese) and the cost to buy is waaaaay less. Not to mention that I find the pellets much nicer than cow patties. :hide

SustainableAg

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mini Horses - I absolutely agree with you. I have been around goats and find them devilishly amusing. However, I have tasted goat milk with mixed reviews. I have made my own butter and cheese with cows milk. I have never attempted that with goat milk. Need to learn a different set of skills. What is the level of difficulty associated with the latter? Would much prefer the goats!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay goats! Lol. I have Nigerian dwarf and mini alpine goats. Way easier and more fun (sorry cow people) than cows. Nigerians don't give much milk but their milk is high butterfat and amazing for cheese. I haven't bred my minis yet so not sure how much I'll get from them.

Butter doesn't work so well with goat milk. People do it but goat milk is naturally homogenized so not much cream accumulates at the top. Now with more milk than I get maybe it would work. I don't know. I stick with cheese and soap!

Goat milk flavor varies based on breed, diet, whether a buck is in the pasture with them, and milk handling. For example toggenburgs are gorgeous but have strong flavored milk. Saanens have low butterfat and Nigerians and Nubians have much higher. Bucks smell so they make the milk taste ughhhh... Haha

Latest posts