Dairy Farming

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My goats milk tastes like cow milk pretty much. No goaty taste at all. So sad I'm not milking right now. So long until spring!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They can... 10 months is a good period of time. I dried my little Nigerian up so she could have a month off before I put her in with my buck to (hopefully) be bred. So she was only in milk for 6 or 7 months this year.

SustainableAg

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was always interested in having heritage breeds on my mini-farm. I would love to have a heritage dual-purpose cow. Dexters fit that bill...but so do Red Polls. Neither of them are exceptionally common..or cheap. But options abound, so who knows.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have heritage everything except goats! I would be interested in having some of those too but, like you said, tthey're pricey and harder to find. I like Dexters a lot.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Love talking breeds! We have GOS cross pigs. We are going to breed them to a Berkshire boar. We have Dominique chickens and are hoping to get Dorkings for the spring. Also Black Spanish turkeys. We are going to get a Bourbon Red tom for the hens, also probably in the spring.